Welcoming the readers with a friendly tone, we understand the struggles of dealing with unwanted calls or messages on our Mac devices. Whether it’s a telemarketer, a spammer, or someone who you simply don’t want to talk to, it can be frustrating and sometimes even disturbing. Fortunately, Mac OS offers a feature to block phone numbers and avoid those nuisances. In this article, we will guide you through 12 easy steps on how to block a number on Mac, as well as provide you with some useful tips and tricks to make the most out of this feature.
Step 1: Open FaceTime
The first step to blocking a phone number on Mac is to open the FaceTime app on your device. You can do this by searching for it in the Launchpad or by opening it from the Applications folder in the Finder. Once you’re on the app, choose “FaceTime” from the menu bar on the upper left corner, and select “Preferences”.
Step 2: Choose “Blocked”
In the “Preferences” window, you will find a tab called “Blocked”. This is where you’ll be able to manage the phone numbers you want to block. Click on it and you’ll see a list of the current blocked numbers, if there’s any.
Step 3: Click on the “+” icon
To add a new phone number to the block list, click on the “+” icon located at the bottom left corner of the “Blocked” window.
Step 4: Enter the phone number
A new window will pop up asking you to enter the phone number you want to block. You can also copy and paste it if you have it saved somewhere. Be sure to include the country code and area code if needed.
Step 5: Click “Block”
After entering the phone number, click on the “Block” button located at the bottom right corner of the window. The phone number will now be added to your block list and you’ll no longer receive calls or messages from it.
Step 6: Blocking from FaceTime or Messages
One of the best things about blocking a phone number on Mac is that it applies to both FaceTime and Messages. This means that if you block a number from one app, it will be blocked in the other as well. To block a number from Messages, simply right-click on the message thread and choose “Block Contact.”
Step 7: Checking and managing the block list
If you ever need to check or manage the phone numbers on your block list, simply go back to the “Blocked” tab on the FaceTime Preferences window. From there, you can remove or add numbers, as well as see the date and time of when a number was added or removed.
Step 8: Blocking unknown numbers
If you’re receiving calls or messages from unknown or private numbers, you can still block them. Simply look for the number on the “Recent” tab on the FaceTime window, right-click on it, and select “Block This Caller.” You can also block unknown numbers from Messages by opening the message and clicking on “Details,” then “Block this Caller.”
Step 9: Blocking from Contacts
You can also block a phone number from the Contacts app on your Mac. Open the app and search for the contact you want to block. Right-click on it and select “Block this Contact.” The number will now be added to your block list.
Step 10: Blocking from the Phone app
If you’re receiving calls from a number that’s not on your contact list, you can block it from the Phone app on your Mac. Open the app and look for the recent call with the number you want to block. Right-click on it and choose “Block this Caller.”
Step 11: Unblocking a number
If you ever want to unblock a number, simply go back to the “Blocked” tab on the FaceTime Preferences window, select the number you want to unblock, and click on “Unblock.”
Step 12: All set!
That’s it! You’re now able to block phone numbers on your Mac and avoid unwanted calls and messages.
Blocking phone numbers on your Mac is a great way to protect your privacy and avoid unwanted disruptions. By following the 12 simple steps we’ve outlined, you can easily block phone numbers from FaceTime, Messages, Contacts, and even the Phone app. This feature is especially helpful if you’re receiving spam calls or messages, or if you simply don’t want to talk to someone.
One of the benefits of blocking a phone number on Mac is that it will sync with other devices that use the same Apple ID. This means that if you have an iPhone or iPad, the blocked numbers will also be blocked on those devices. This can save you a lot of time and effort of having to block numbers on each device individually.
It’s important to keep in mind that blocking a number will prevent you from receiving calls and messages from it, but it won’t prevent the person from leaving a voicemail or sending a message. Also, if the person changes their phone number, they will no longer be blocked.
Tips and Tricks
Tips 1: Regularly check your block list
It’s a good practice to regularly check your block list and remove any numbers that are no longer relevant. This can help you keep your list organized and updated.
Tips 2: Don’t hesitate to block unknown numbers
If you’re receiving calls from unknown numbers, don’t hesitate to block them. This can prevent potential scammers or telemarketers from reaching you.
Tips 3: Take advantage of blocking from Messages
If you’re receiving unwanted messages from a certain number, you can block them directly from the Messages app by right-clicking on the message thread and choosing “Block Contact.”
Tips 4: Block numbers with similar beginnings
If you’re receiving multiple calls from different numbers that have similar beginnings, such as the same area code, it might be more efficient to block the beginning of the number rather than each individual number.
Tips 5: Use the block feature wisely
While blocking a number can be helpful, it’s important to use this feature wisely. Make sure to only block numbers that you don’t want to receive calls or messages from, and not just because you’re having a disagreement with someone.
Tips 6: Report spam numbers
If you’re receiving frequent calls or messages from spam numbers, consider reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or to your phone carrier. This can help prevent those numbers from bothering you and others in the future.
Tips 7: Use “Do Not Disturb” mode
If you want to avoid all calls and messages for a certain period of time, you can use the “Do Not Disturb” feature on your Mac. This will silence all calls and notifications, but still allow you to check them later.
Tips 8: Don’t forget to unblock numbers
If you accidentally blocked a number or if you’ve changed your mind, don’t forget to unblock it. This can save you from missing important calls or messages.
Tips 9: Save the block list in a safe place
If you’re planning on getting a new Mac or device, make sure to save your block list in a safe place so that you can easily transfer it to your new device.
Tips 10: Experiment with shortcuts
You can create custom keyboard shortcuts using the Keyboard settings on your Mac. This can help you block phone numbers even faster and more efficiently.
Advantages and Disadvantages of How to Block Number on Mac
1. Enhanced privacy and security: By blocking numbers on Mac, you can keep your personal information and data secure from unwanted calls and messages.
2. Peace of mind: You can enjoy a stress-free experience without any annoying calls or messages from people you do not wish to communicate with.
3. Improved productivity: Blocking numbers on Mac means you can concentrate better on your work without any distractions from spam calls or messages.
4. Saves time: By blocking unwanted messages and calls, you save precious time that would have been wasted in answering them or going through them.
5. Easy to use: The blocking feature is straightforward and easy to use on Mac, enabling you to block numbers faster without the need for any additional software or skills.
6. Improves Focus: Blocking numbers on Mac can help you focus on your work better by eliminating the possibility of distractions.
7. Reduces stress: Constant calls or messages from unwanted numbers can create undue stress, which can negatively impact your mental and physical well-being. Blocking numbers can help reduce such stress and anxiety.
8. Great for cyberbullying: Blocking numbers on Mac is a great way to deal with cyberbullying, which is becoming a more prevalent issue these days.
9. Customizable: You can customize the blocking feature to fit your unique needs and preferences, enabling you to block numbers based on your criteria.
10. Easy to reverse: If you change your mind and wish to unblock a number, the process is simple and straightforward, enabling you to do so quickly.
1. Inability to receive important calls or messages from anyone who is mistakenly blocked.
2. Limited blocking capacity: Depending on the Mac and software used, there may be a limit to the number of people you can block.
3. May not block all calls and messages: Depending on the type of number you are trying to block, certain calls or messages may still get through.
4. Inconvenience for others: If someone else shares the same Mac, the blocking feature may inconvenience them if they need to communicate with someone who has been accidentally blocked.
5. May not prevent people from contacting you through alternative means: If someone is determined to reach you, they may try to contact you through different channels, like social media or email, making the blocking feature ineffective.
6. Requires regular updating: Depending on the amount of spam you receive, the blocking feature may need to be regularly updated to ensure its effectiveness.
7. Time-consuming: Initially, it may take some time to set up the blocking feature, especially if you need to review multiple numbers.
8. May not be available on older Mac versions: Depending on the Mac version, the blocking feature may not be available, making it impossible to block numbers.
9. Possible errors: The blocking feature may sometimes malfunction, causing it to block the wrong numbers or not block certain others.
10. May impact relationships: If you block people you know or care about, it may negatively impact your relationship with them.
1. How can I block a phone number on my Mac?
You can block a phone number on your Mac by adding it to your Blocked list in the FaceTime app. Simply open the app, go to Preferences, select the Blocked tab, and click on the + button to add the number you want to block.
2. Can I block a number that has already sent me messages or calls?
Yes, you can still block a number that has already sent you messages or calls by adding it to your Blocked list. Once you add it, you won’t receive any future messages or calls from that number.
3. How do I unblock a number on my Mac?
If you want to unblock a number on your Mac, simply go to the Blocked tab in the FaceTime app Preferences and select the number you want to unblock. Click on the – button to remove it from the list.
4. Can I block unknown or private numbers on my Mac?
No, you cannot block unknown or private numbers on your Mac as they do not have a visible phone number to block. However, you can choose to not answer or decline calls from unknown numbers.
5. What happens when I block a number on my Mac?
When you block a number on your Mac, you will not receive any phone calls, FaceTime calls, or messages from that number. The number will also be blocked on other Apple devices linked to your Apple ID.
6. Can I block texts from a specific sender on my Mac?
Yes, you can block texts from a specific sender on your Mac by adding their phone number to your Blocked list in the Messages app. Simply right-click on the sender’s message, select More, and then select Add to Blocked.
7. Can I block emails from a specific sender on my Mac?
Yes, you can block emails from a specific sender on your Mac by creating a rule in the Mail app. Go to Preferences, select Rules, and click on Add Rule. Enter the email address of the sender you want to block and choose the actions you want to take (e.g. move to trash, mark as read).
8. Will the sender know that I have blocked them?
No, the sender will not receive any notification that you have blocked them on your Mac. However, they may realize that you have blocked them if they are unable to reach you through phone calls, FaceTime calls, or messages.
9. Can I still receive calls and messages from a blocked number if I unblock it later?
Yes, if you unblock a number on your Mac, you will be able to receive calls and messages from that number again.
10. Will blocking a number on my Mac also block it on my iPhone?
If your iPhone is connected to the same Apple ID as your Mac, blocking a number on your Mac will also block it on your iPhone. However, if you have a different Apple ID for your iPhone, you will need to block the number separately on your iPhone.
11. Can I block multiple numbers at once on my Mac?
No, you cannot block multiple numbers at once on your Mac. You will need to add each number to your Blocked list individually.
12. Can I view a list of all the numbers I have blocked on my Mac?
Yes, you can view a list of all the numbers you have blocked on your Mac in the Blocked tab of the FaceTime app Preferences.
13. Can I temporarily block a number on my Mac?
No, you cannot temporarily block a number on your Mac. Once you add a number to your Blocked list, it will remain blocked until you manually unblock it.
How to Block a Number on Mac
Blocking unwanted callers or numbers on your cell phone is a common knowledge for most people, but what if you are receiving calls on your Mac computer that you don’t want to answer or even see? Luckily, there are ways to block numbers on your Mac computer as well to ensure you have control over who can contact you and who cannot. In this article, we will be discussing how to block a number on Mac.
Conclusion and Closing
In conclusion, blocking a number on your Mac computer is an easy process that can save you from unnecessary troubles. By simply following the above-mentioned steps of creating a contact, and then blocking the contact, you can effectively block any unwanted calls or messages on your Mac computer. However, if you still face any difficulties with this process, you can always seek help from an Apple representative or visit the official Apple Support website.
We hope this article was helpful, and you can now control who can contact you on your Mac computer. Remember, blocking individuals or numbers who constantly harass or disturb your peace is an essential step in internet safety and personal security. Stay safe, and goodbye!