Welcome to our article on how to brighten screen on Mac! As we all know, Mac devices are known for their stunning displays. However, there might be instances where you feel like your Mac screen could use a little bit of a brightness boost. Whether you’re working from a dimly-lit room or you simply prefer a brighter display, increasing the screen brightness can be a game-changer. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps on how to brighten screen on Mac.
Steps to Brighten Screen on Mac
Step 1: Adjust Screen Brightness Using Keyboard Shortcut
The easiest way to adjust screen brightness on Mac is by using a keyboard shortcut. Press the “F1” key to decrease brightness and “F2” key to increase brightness. However, make sure that the “Display” settings in System Preferences are not set to “Automatically adjust brightness”.
Step 2: Adjust Screen Brightness Using System Preferences
You can also adjust screen brightness through System Preferences. Click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences”. Then, click on “Displays” and drag the “Brightness” slider to increase or decrease the brightness.
Step 3: Adjust Screen Brightness Using Control Center
If you’re using macOS Big Sur or later, you can adjust screen brightness using the Control Center. Click on the Control Center icon on the top right corner of your screen and use the brightness slider to increase or decrease the brightness.
Step 4: Use Night Shift to Adjust Screen Brightness
Night Shift is a feature that adjusts the color temperature of your screen to reduce eye strain. However, it can also be used to increase or decrease screen brightness. To use Night Shift, click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences”. Click on “Displays” and select the “Night Shift” tab. From there, you can adjust the color temperature and brightness.
Step 5: Disable True Tone
True Tone is a feature that adjusts the color temperature of your screen based on ambient light. However, it can sometimes make your screen appear dimmer than usual. To disable True Tone, click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences”. Click on “Displays” and deselect the “True Tone” checkbox.
Step 6: Check for Software Updates
Sometimes, software updates can improve screen brightness or address issues related to brightness. To check for software updates, click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences”. Click on “Software Update” and install any available updates.
Step 7: Reset the SMC
Sometimes, resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) can help fix issues related to screen brightness. To reset the SMC on Mac laptops with non-removable batteries, shut down your Mac and connect it to a power source. Press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys and the power button for 10 seconds. Then, release all the keys and turn on your Mac. For Mac desktops, shut down your Mac and unplug the power cord for 15 seconds. Then, plug it back in and turn on your Mac.
Step 8: Reset the NVRAM/PRAM
Resetting the Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM) or Parameter RAM (PRAM) can sometimes fix issues related to screen brightness. To reset the NVRAM/PRAM, shut down your Mac and press the power button to turn it back on. Immediately press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys for about 20 seconds. Then, release all the keys and your Mac will restart.
Step 9: Check Hardware Connections
If adjusting the screen brightness doesn’t work, it’s possible that there’s an issue with your hardware connections. Check that your Mac is properly connected to a power source or external display (if applicable). You can also try connecting your Mac to a different power source or display to see if the issue persists.
Step 10: Clean Your Screen
Dirt, dust, and smudges on your screen can sometimes make it appear dimmer than usual. Clean your screen with a microfiber cloth or a screen cleaning solution to improve its brightness.
Step 11: Replace Your Battery
If you’re using a MacBook, it’s possible that your battery is old and not functioning properly. As a result, your screen might appear dimmer than usual. Consider replacing your battery if it’s more than 2 years old or if you notice other issues besides screen brightness.
Step 12: Contact Apple Support
If none of the above steps work, it’s possible that there’s an underlying issue with your Mac. Contact Apple Support or take your Mac to an authorized Apple service provider for assistance.
Now that we’ve gone through the steps on how to brighten screen on Mac, let’s delve into the explanation behind each step.
Adjusting screen brightness using a keyboard shortcut (Step 1) is the quickest and easiest way to do so. However, make sure that the “Display” settings in System Preferences are not set to “Automatically adjust brightness” or else the keyboard shortcut won’t work.
Adjusting screen brightness through System Preferences (Step 2) is another simple method. You can easily drag the “Brightness” slider to the left to decrease brightness or to the right to increase brightness.
Using Control Center to adjust screen brightness (Step 3) is a new feature that was introduced in macOS Big Sur. It’s a quick and convenient way to adjust screen brightness, especially if you use it frequently.
Night Shift (Step 4) is a feature that adjusts the color temperature of your screen to reduce eye strain. However, you can also use it to adjust screen brightness since it has a slider for it. Just make sure not to rely on Night Shift alone to increase screen brightness, especially in bright environments.
Disabling True Tone (Step 5) might help fix issues related to dim screen brightness if you’re using a MacBook. However, it’s generally a useful feature to have since it adjusts the color temperature of your screen based on ambient light.
Checking for software updates (Step 6) is always a good idea since updates can improve screen brightness or address issues related to it.
Resetting the SMC (Step 7) and NVRAM/PRAM (Step 8) are more advanced troubleshooting steps that might help fix issues related to screen brightness. However, only use these steps if you’re comfortable doing so since they require pressing several key combinations.
If all else fails, check hardware connections (Step 9), clean your screen (Step 10), or replace your battery (Step 11). Contacting Apple Support or taking your Mac to an authorized service provider (Step 12) is also an option if none of the above steps work.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some additional tips and tricks on how to brighten screen on Mac:
1. Use a brighter wallpaper
Using a brighter wallpaper can make your screen appear brighter overall. Choose a wallpaper with lighter colors or an image that has a lot of bright shades.
2. Use external displays
If you’re working in a bright environment, consider using an external display that has better brightness and color accuracy.
3. Adjust brightness based on ambient light
If you want to save battery life while still maintaining optimal screen brightness, consider using “Automatically adjust brightness” in the “Display” settings in System Preferences. This feature adjusts screen brightness based on ambient light.
4. Use keyboard shortcuts for quick adjustments
Remember that you can always use the “F1” and “F2” keys as keyboard shortcuts to decrease or increase screen brightness, respectively.
5. Adjust Night Shift settings
Experiment with Night Shift settings to find the best combination of color temperature and brightness that works for you.
6. Use a screen filter
Screen filters can reduce glare and make your screen appear brighter. Consider using one if you’re working in a bright environment.
7. Use battery-saving features
Enabling battery-saving features such as “Reduce screen brightness before display goes to sleep” in the “Energy Saver” settings in System Preferences can help prolong battery life while still maintaining screen brightness.
8. Clean your screen regularly
Make sure to clean your screen regularly with a microfiber cloth or a screen cleaning solution to prevent dirt and smudges from making it appear dimmer.
9. Check for third-party apps
If you have third-party apps installed, they might be affecting screen brightness. Check if any of them have settings related to screen brightness and adjust accordingly.
10. Use a brightness app
Lastly, consider using a brightness app such as Brightness Slider or Shades that allows for more precise control over screen brightness.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Brightening Screen on Mac
1. Better visibility: By brightening your screen, you can see everything on your Mac more clearly, especially if you are working in a dimly lit room.
2. Enhanced colors: A brighter display can also make colors look more vivid and true to life on your Mac, making your photo editing or color correction tasks more accurate.
3. Eye strain relief: A brighter display can reduce eye strain and prevent headaches, especially if you work for long hours on your Mac.
4. Improved productivity: With a brighter screen on your Mac, you can work for longer hours without feeling tired, which may lead to increased productivity.
5. Better gaming experience: A brighter display can help you in gaming, making it easier to see small details, making your gaming experience more enjoyable.
6. Increased device resale value: If you plan to sell your Mac in the future, keeping the screen bright and in top condition can increase its resale value.
7. Improved video playback: A brighter screen can make videos appear more vibrant and lifelike, adding to your viewing pleasure.
8. More customizable screen: With a brighter display, you have more options for customizing your screen to your preferred brightness level.
9. Energy-saving benefits: By keeping your screen brighter, you can save energy on your Mac’s battery as it wouldn’t need to work hard to display brighter images.
10. Better web browsing: With a brighter display on your Mac, web browsing can be more enjoyable in terms of seeing clearer images and text.
1. Increased energy consumption: Keeping your screen brighter can consume more energy, leading to shorter battery life and higher electricity bills.
2. Eye strain: A brighter display can cause eye strain and headaches, especially if used for long periods, leading to vision problems in the long run.
3. Screen glare: A brighter display can cause glare issues that reflect light onto your eyes, making it difficult to see the content on the screen.
4. Worsening of battery life: Brightening your screen can drain your battery faster, decreasing the number of hours you can use your Mac without plugging it in.
5. Reduced privacy: A brighter display makes it easier for other people to see what you are doing on your Mac, compromising your privacy.
6. Overheating of Mac: A brighter display can cause overheating of your Mac, leading to hardware damage and poor performance.
7. Inadequate screen calibration: A brighter display may not be properly calibrated, leading to uneven colors, which can impact your ability to edit or display accurate content.
8. Sun damage: A brighter screen can cause sun damage, particularly if used outside, leading to discoloration and screen damage over time.
9. Reduced lifespan of Mac: A brighter display can cause the battery and screen components of your Mac to wear out faster, causing it to age more quickly.
10. Impact on sleep: A brighter display can interfere with your sleep quality, as the blue light can interfere with your circadian rhythm and make it harder to fall asleep.
How to Brighten Screen on Mac?
Here are some frequently asked questions about how to brighten screen on a Mac:
1. Where can I find the brightness settings on my Mac?
You can find the brightness settings in the System Preferences menu, under Displays. Alternatively, you can use the function keys (F1 and F2) on your keyboard to adjust the brightness.
2. Can I adjust the brightness automatically on my Mac?
Yes, you can enable the “Automatically adjust brightness” option in the Display settings to adjust the screen brightness according to the ambient light.
3. What should I do if the screen is too dark to see?
If the screen is too dark to see, try increasing the brightness using the function keys on your keyboard or in the Display settings. If this doesn’t work, restart your Mac or check if there are any software updates available.
4. How can I adjust the brightness on an external display connected to my Mac?
You can adjust the brightness of an external display using the controls on the display itself or through the Display settings in System Preferences on your Mac.
5. Can I adjust the brightness on my MacBook Pro so my battery lasts longer?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness of your MacBook Pro to conserve battery life. Lowering the brightness will help to reduce battery consumption.
6. What should I do if the brightness controls are not working on my Mac?
If the brightness controls are not working on your Mac, try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) or check if there are any software updates available.
7. Can I adjust the brightness of my Mac using Siri?
Yes, you can ask Siri to adjust the brightness of your Mac by saying “Increase/Decrease the screen brightness.”
8. How do I adjust the brightness of an individual window on my Mac?
You can use the Window menu on your Mac to adjust the brightness of individual windows.
9. Can I adjust the brightness of my Mac in Safe Mode?
No, the brightness cannot be adjusted in Safe Mode as some features are disabled during this mode.
10. How can I disable the automatic brightness adjustment on my Mac?
You can disable the automatic brightness adjustment by unchecking the “Automatically adjust brightness” option in the Display settings.
11. Can I adjust the brightness of my Mac using third-party software?
Yes, there are several third-party apps available that can be used to adjust the brightness of your Mac.
12. How can the brightness of my Mac affect my eyesight?
If the screen brightness is too high, it can strain your eyes and cause discomfort. It’s recommended to adjust the brightness to a comfortable level to reduce eye strain.
13. How can I adjust the brightness of my Mac to improve readability?
You can adjust the brightness of your Mac to improve readability by increasing it to a level that is comfortable for your eyes to read text on the screen without causing any strain or discomfort.
How to Brighten Screen on Mac
Using a Mac can be a great experience, but sometimes you may need to adjust the brightness of your screen to make it more comfortable to use. Whether you are working in a low-light environment or just feel like the screen is too dim, there are a few different ways to brighten the screen on your Mac.
Overall, brightening the screen on your Mac is a simple and straightforward process. Whether you prefer to use the built-in controls or a third-party app, there are plenty of options for adjusting the brightness and making your display more comfortable to use. Whether you are working late at night or just prefer a brighter screen, we hope these tips have helped you get the most out of your Mac display.
So next time you find yourself squinting at your Mac screen, remember that there are plenty of ways to brighten things up and make your work environment more comfortable. From adjusting the brightness manually to using specialized apps, you can find the best method for your needs and enjoy a better viewing experience on your Mac. Thanks for reading, and happy brightening!
Whether you are a long-time Mac user or just getting started with this popular platform, learning how to adjust your screen brightness can be a crucial skill. No matter what tasks you are working on, a dim or overly bright screen can be distracting and uncomfortable. So take the time to explore the different options for brightening up your screen, and find the best method for your needs. With a little bit of effort, you can enjoy a better computing experience and work more efficiently on your Mac.