Welcome to this article where we will guide you on how to convert PDF to JPG on a Mac. PDFs are ideal for sharing documents electronically, but sometimes you may need to convert them to an image format like JPG for various reasons. Mac users can easily convert their PDF files to JPG without any extra software. In this article, we will provide you with 12 simple steps to help you convert PDF to JPG on your Mac device.
Steps: How to Convert PDF to JPG Mac
Step 1: Open PDF File with Preview
The first step is to open your PDF file with Preview. You can do this by double-clicking on the PDF file, which will open it in Preview. If Preview is not your default PDF viewer, right-click on the file and select “Open With” and choose Preview from the list.
Step 2: Choose the Page
Once your PDF is open in Preview, select the page you want to convert into JPG. If you want to convert multiple pages, press and hold the “Command” key while selecting multiple pages.
Step 3: Click on the “File” Menu
Click on the “File” menu located at the top left corner of the screen.
Step 4: Click on “Export”
Select “Export” from the drop-down menu.
Step 5: Choose “JPEG” as the Format
Under the “Format” dropdown menu, select “JPEG”.
Step 6: Adjust Settings If Needed
You can also adjust the JPG file quality and resolution in Preview. Click on the “Options” button, select “Resolution” and choose the desired value. You can also change the image quality to low, medium or high.
Step 7: Select the Destination Folder
Before converting the file, choose where you want to save it by selecting the folder destination. You can choose from the suggested options or browse a different location.
Step 8: Name and Save File
Name your file and select “Save”.
Step 9: Open JPG File
Once the file is saved, you can locate it in the destination folder and preview your JPG file.
Step 10: Repeat for Multiple Pages
If you wish to convert more pages, repeat the steps for each page, and save them individually.
Step 11: Use Third-Party Software (Optional)
If you need more advanced features to convert PDFs to JPGs, you can use a third-party software such as Adobe Acrobat or online tools like Small PDF or PDFtoJPGConverter.com. Although these options may require a subscription or fee, they offer additional features such as converting multiple pages at once and batch processing.
Step 12: Enjoy Your Converted JPG
You’re done! You have successfully converted your PDF to JPG format. Enjoy your newly converted image.
Preview is a built-in app in macOS that allows you to view and edit PDF files. It also lets you export your PDF file as different image file formats, including JPG. The advantage of using Preview is that it is free, straightforward to use, and does not require any additional software. Once you have opened your PDF file in Preview, you can easily select the desired pages, export them to a JPG file and adjust the quality and resolution.
However, if you need more advanced features such as batch conversion, password protection or OCR (Optical Character Recognition), you may need to use third-party software. Adobe Acrobat is one example of a third-party software that allows you to convert PDF to JPG, and it also offers more features like batch processing and advanced security features like password protection. Online tools such as Small PDF and PDFtoJPGConverter.com are also available to use without having to download anything to your computer.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Keyboard Shortcut for Exporting
Instead of clicking on “File” and selecting “Export”, you can use the keyboard shortcut “Command+Shift+S” to export your file quickly.
Tip 2: Use Automator
If you have to convert PDFs to JPGs regularly, you can create a workflow in Automator on your Mac to perform the task automatically. Open Automator and select “Application” as the document type. You can add the “Convert Format of PDF” action from the PDFs category and save it as an application. Place your PDF files in a folder and drag-and-drop them onto the application to convert them to JPG files automatically.
Tip 3: Use Terminal
If you are comfortable using Terminal, you can use the sips command to convert your PDF to JPG. Open Terminal and navigate to the folder located your PDF file. Type the following command and press enter:
sips -s format jpeg yourfilename.pdf –out yourfilename.jpg
Tip 4: Use Keyboard Maestro
Keyboard Maestro is a powerful automation tool that allows you to perform complex tasks with a single keystroke. You can create a macro to convert PDFs to JPGs with ease.
Tip 5: Use AppleScript
If you have programming experience, you can use AppleScript to automate the PDF to JPG conversion task. The AppleScript code will automate the opening of the PDF file, selecting the page, exporting to a JPG file, and saving it to a specified location.
Tip 6: Use Online Converters
There are many online tools available that can convert your PDFs to JPGs in a matter of seconds. Some popular options include Small PDF, Online Convert, and PDFtoJPGConverter.com.
Tip 7: Enable Preview Thumbnails
To preview pages of your PDF files, turn on Preview Thumbnails. Open Preview and click “View” and then “Thumbnails” to see the preview of your pages in the sidebar.
Tip 8: Use Spotlight
Spotlight is a powerful Mac search tool that allows you to search your PDF and other files quickly. To search for a specific word or phrase, press “Command+Spacebar” and type your search term in the Spotlight search bar.
Tip 9: Heres Another Way to Convert PDFs to JPG on Mac
There’s another way to convert PDFs to JPG on Mac. You can use the built-in Print feature to print a PDF as a JPG. Open the PDF file in Preview, click “File” and “Print”. In the Print dialog box, select “Save as PDF” from the dropdown menu, and then select “JPEG” as the file format.
Tip 10: Backup Your PDFs Before Converting
Make sure to create a backup copy of your PDF file before converting to a JPG format. This will ensure you always have the original PDF file available in case of errors or changes needed in the future.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Converting PDF to JPG on a Mac
Converting a PDF file to a JPG image can be very useful in many different situations. If you are using a Mac, you have several options for converting PDF to JPG format, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of converting PDF to JPG on a Mac.
Advantages of Converting PDF to JPG on a Mac
1. Easy to Share – JPG images are simple and easy to share through email, social media, or any other platform. The file size is smaller than a PDF, making it faster to upload and download.
2. High-Quality Images – Converting a PDF to JPG can result in very high-quality images that are ideal for printing or displaying on a screen. This is especially true for PDFs that contain vector graphics or images that need to be enlarged.
3. Multiple Images – If your PDF document contains several images, converting it to JPG format allows you to extract each image to a separate file. This can be very convenient if you need to use specific images in different documents or projects.
4. No Special Software Required – Most computers and mobile devices can display JPG images without any special software. This makes it easy for anyone to view and share your files.
5. Better Compatibility – Some software or platforms may not support PDF files. By converting a PDF to JPG, you ensure that the file can be opened and viewed on any device or software.
6. Easy Editing – JPG images can be easily edited using basic image editing software. This can be very useful if you need to crop or resize an image, adjust its color or contrast, or add text or other elements.
7. Free Options Available – There are several free online tools available that can convert PDF to JPG format. This makes it easy and cost-effective to convert your files without needing to purchase any software.
8. Easy to Back Up – JPG images can be saved to cloud storage or external hard drives, making them easy to back up and recover if needed.
9. Faster to Process – Converting a PDF to JPG format is usually faster than other file formats like TIFF or PNG. This can be very useful if you need to convert large files quickly.
10. User-Friendly Interface – Many PDF to JPG converters have a simple and user-friendly interface that makes it easy for anyone to convert files without needing any technical knowledge or experience.
Disadvantages of Converting PDF to JPG on a Mac
1. Loss of Quality – Converting a PDF to JPG can result in a loss of quality, especially if the PDF contains a lot of text or complex images. This can make the resulting JPG image less suitable for printing or enlarging.
2. Limited Editing – JPG images are not as editable as PDFs. Once an image has been converted to JPG, you cannot make any changes to the original text or graphics.
3. No OCR Support – Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is not supported by JPG images. This means that any text in the original PDF will not be recognized or searchable in the resulting JPG image.
4. No Bookmark Support – Bookmarks or hyperlinks in the original PDF will not be included in the resulting JPG image.
5. No Security Features – JPG images do not have any security features like passwords or encryption to protect the file from unauthorized access.
6. Less Suitable for Archiving – Because of the loss of quality and limited editing capabilities, JPG images may not be the best format for long-term archival purposes.
7. Limited Support for Large Files – Some PDF to JPG converters may not be able to handle very large files or may take a long time to convert them.
8. No Compression Options – JPG images are compressed by default, which can result in a loss of quality. However, there are no options to adjust the compression level or choose a different compression method.
9. Limited Color Space – JPG images only support the RGB color space, which may be less suitable for professional printing or graphic design purposes.
10. Dependence on Third-Party Tools – Converting PDF to JPG requires the use of third-party software or online tools, which may not always be reliable or secure.
1. What is PDF?
PDF stands for Portable Document Format which is a file format used to represent and exchange documents reliably across different platforms and devices.
2. What is JPG?
JPG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group which is a file format used to compress digital images without losing too much quality.
3. Why do I need to convert a PDF to JPG on Mac?
You may need to convert a PDF to JPG on Mac if you want to use an image from a PDF file in a different document or if you need to upload it online as an image file.
4. Can I convert a PDF to JPG on Mac without using third-party software?
No, you cannot convert a PDF to JPG on Mac without using third-party software because the default Preview app on Mac does not have the capability to convert PDFs to JPGs.
5. What are some popular third-party software options for converting PDF to JPG on Mac?
Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat, Preview, GIMP, and Online Convert.
6. How do I convert a PDF to JPG using Adobe Acrobat?
Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat, click on the Tools tab, select Export PDF, choose Image as the export format, select JPG as the image format, and click Export.
7. How do I convert a PDF to JPG using Preview?
Open the PDF in Preview, click on File, select Export, choose JPEG as the format, adjust the quality settings if desired, and click Save.
8. How do I convert a PDF to JPG using GIMP?
Open the PDF in GIMP, select File, select Export As, choose JPEG image as the format, adjust the quality settings if desired, and click Export.
9. How do I convert a PDF to JPG using Online Convert?
Go to Online Convert’s PDF to JPG converter, upload the PDF file, select the conversion options if desired, and click Convert File.
10. Are there any free third-party software options for converting PDF to JPG on Mac?
Yes, Preview and GIMP are both free third-party software options for converting PDF to JPG on Mac.
11. Can I set a specific resolution or size for the JPG image when converting from PDF?
Yes, most third-party software options will allow you to set a specific resolution or size for the JPG image when converting from PDF.
12. Will converting a PDF to JPG on Mac affect the quality of the image?
Yes, converting a PDF to JPG on Mac can affect the quality of the image depending on the conversion settings and the quality of the PDF itself.
13. Is it possible to convert a batch of PDF files to JPG on Mac at once?
Yes, some third-party software options like Adobe Acrobat and GIMP allow you to convert a batch of PDF files to JPG on Mac at once.
How to Convert PDF to JPG on Mac
Many times, we may need to convert a PDF file into a JPG image file, especially when we need to share the content of the PDF file with others who may not have the capability to view PDF files. Fortunately, it is possible to convert a PDF file to a JPG image file on a Mac. In this article, we will show you the steps to convert a PDF file to a JPG on Mac in the easiest and fastest way possible.
Conclusion and Closing
In conclusion, converting a PDF file to a JPG image file on a Mac is a quick and easy process. With the built-in Preview app, you can convert your PDF files to JPG images in a few simple steps. Simply open the PDF file in Preview, select the pages you want to convert to JPG, and save your new JPG image file. With this knowledge, you can easily share your PDF content with others who don’t have access to a PDF viewer. We hope this article has helped you learn how to convert PDF to JPG on Mac.
Thank you for reading this article, and we hope you found it informative and helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. We look forward to hearing from you!