Welcome to this tutorial where we will show you how to delete mail storage on Mac! As we all know, emails can take up a lot of space on our devices, and sometimes we need to delete them to free up some much-needed space. Deleting mail storage on Mac might seem a daunting task at first, but fear not, we have broken down the process into simple and easy-to-follow steps for you. So, let’s get started!
Step 1: Open Mail App
To begin, open the Mail app on your Mac device. The Mail app can be located in the Applications folder or on your Dock.
Step 2: Select Mailboxes
Once the Mail app is open, select “Mailboxes” from the menu bar located at the top of your screen.
Step 3: Choose Mailbox to Delete
Next, choose the mailbox that you want to delete. You can select multiple mailboxes by holding down the Command key while clicking on the desired mailboxes.
Step 4: Right-Click on Mailbox
After you have selected the mailbox or mailboxes that you want to delete, right-click on the mailbox and select “Delete Mailbox” from the drop-down menu.
Step 5: Confirm Deletion
A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm that you want to delete the mailbox. Click “OK” to confirm.
Step 6: Empty Trash
Now that the mailbox has been deleted, you need to empty the trash to permanently delete the mailbox and its contents. To do this, locate the trash folder in the Mail app and select “Empty Trash” from the drop-down menu.
Step 7: Repeat the Process
Repeat this process for all the mailboxes that you want to delete. Remember to empty the trash after each deletion.
Step 8: Remove Attachments
If you want to free up even more space, consider removing attachments from your emails. Simply open the email, right-click on the attachment and select “Remove Attachment”.
Step 9: Archive Old Emails
Archiving old emails can also help free up space. To do this, select the email or emails that you want to archive, right-click and select “Archive”.
Step 10: Use Third-Party Apps
If you have a large number of emails and don’t want to go through the process manually, you can use third-party apps such as CleanMyMac or Gemini to help you delete mail storage quickly and easily.
Step 11: Backup Your Emails
Before deleting any mail storage, make sure to backup any important emails that you want to keep. You can do this by exporting your mailbox or using a backup tool like Time Machine.
Step 12: Regularly Delete Mail Storage
To avoid running out of space again in the future, make it a habit to regularly delete old or unnecessary emails to keep your mail storage clean and organized.
Now that we have gone through the 12 steps on how to delete mail storage on Mac, let’s dive deeper into some of the key concepts.
Deleting mailboxes on Mac is a simple process that can help free up significant space on your device. However, it’s important to remember that deleting a mailbox also deletes its contents permanently, so make sure to backup any important emails first.
In addition to deleting mailboxes, you can also remove attachments to free up more space. Archiving old emails can also help, since it moves them to an archive folder that is separate from your main mailbox.
Third-party apps can also be a helpful tool for deleting mail storage quickly and easily. CleanMyMac and Gemini are good options, but make sure to do your research and choose a reputable app.
Remember to backup your emails before deleting anything, and make it a habit to regularly delete old or unnecessary emails to keep your mail storage organized.
Tips and Tricks
1. Sort emails by size
Sorting emails by size can help you identify which emails are taking up the most space and which ones to delete first.
2. Use keyboard shortcuts
Using keyboard shortcuts such as Command + A to select all emails or Command + Delete to move emails to trash can save time and make the process faster.
3. Delete emails from sender or date range
Deleting emails from a specific sender or within a certain date range can help you quickly get rid of old or spam emails.
4. Use smart mailboxes
Smart mailboxes are a useful feature in the Mail app that can automatically sort and organize your emails based on specific criteria, such as unread emails or emails from a certain sender.
5. Use filters
Filters can also be used to sort and organize emails based on specific criteria, such as keywords or sender.
6. Unsubscribe from newsletters
Unsubscribing from newsletters or promotional emails that you no longer need or read can help reduce the amount of space used by your mailbox.
7. Use iCloud mail
Using iCloud mail can help reduce the amount of space used on your Mac device, since emails are stored in the cloud instead of on your device.
8. Disable automatic downloads
Disabling automatic downloads for attachments or images can help reduce the amount of space used by your mailbox.
9. Set email to automatically delete after a certain period
Setting your mailbox to automatically delete emails after a certain period, such as 30 days, can help keep your mailbox clean and organized.
10. Use aliases for email
Using aliases for email can help reduce the amount of spam and promotional emails that you receive, which in turn can help reduce the amount of space used by your mailbox.
Advantages and disadvantages of deleting mail storage on mac
1. Free up disk space – By deleting old and unnecessary mail storage on mac, it can help to free up a significant amount of disk space, which can improve your computer’s performance.
2. Better organization – Deleting mail storage can help you to organize and streamline your email folder, making it easier to find important emails and documents.
3. Protect your privacy – By deleting old emails and attachments, you can protect your privacy and prevent sensitive information from falling into the wrong hands.
4. Faster email access – By deleting mail storage, you can speed up your email access time, making it easier and quicker to browse through your inbox and find important emails.
5. Reduced backup requirements – By reducing the amount of unnecessary email data, you can reduce the requirements for backup storage and backup times.
6. Improved email server performance – By deleting old emails and attachments, you can improve the performance of your email server, which will help to ensure that your emails are delivered in a timely manner.
7. Reduce the risk of malware – By deleting old emails and attachments, you can reduce the risk of malware and viruses, which can be present in email attachments and links.
8. Comply with legal requirements – Deleting old emails can ensure that your organization complies with legal requirements for data retention and protection.
9. Easier migration or account transfer – Deleting old emails can make it easier to migrate or transfer your email account to a new computer or email provider.
10. Improved overall system performance – Deleting mail storage can help to improve your overall system performance, making your computer run faster and more smoothly.
1. Risk of deleting important emails – There is always a chance that you might accidentally delete important emails or attachments while deleting old and unnecessary mail storage.
2. Time-consuming process – Depending on the amount of mail storage that you need to delete, the process of deleting emails and attachments can be time-consuming.
3. Loss of sentimental value – You might have personal or sentimental attachments to some of your old emails, and deleting them can result in a loss of those memories.
4. Difficulty in accessing old attachments or emails – After deleting old emails and attachments, it can be difficult to access them later on if you need them for reference or retrieval.
5. Increased risk of data loss – If you delete email data without backing it up first, you run the risk of losing important information in case of a system failure or data corruption.
6. Reduced storage for future emails – By deleting old emails and attachments, you are reducing your available storage space for future emails and attachments that you might need to store.
7. Higher risk of accidental deletion – If you have a lot of email data to delete, there is a higher risk of accidentally deleting important emails or attachments.
8. Limited recovery options – Once you delete email data, it can be difficult or impossible to recover it later on, especially if you don’t have a backup.
9. Reduced functionality of search and filter – By deleting old and unnecessary mail storage, you may reduce the functionality of search and filter options within your mailbox.
10. Can disrupt workflow – Depending on the amount of mail storage that you need to delete, the process can be disruptive to your workflow and daily activities.
1. What is mail storage on mac?
Mail storage is where all your emails and attachments are stored on your mac.
2. How do I check the size of my mail storage?
You can check the size of your mail storage by going to Mail > Mailbox > Mailbox Behaviors > Storage.
3. Why should I delete mail storage?
You should delete mail storage to free up space on your mac, which can improve its performance.
4. Will deleting mail storage delete my emails?
No, deleting mail storage will only delete the attachments and downloaded content, not the actual emails.
5. How do I delete mail storage on mac?
You can delete mail storage by going to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > selecting the account > Mailbox Behaviors > Reset > Erase downloaded mail.
6. Will deleting mail storage affect my email account?
No, deleting mail storage will only remove the downloaded content on your mac, not your actual email account.
7. How often should I delete mail storage?
You should delete mail storage periodically, depending on how often you receive and download attachments.
8. Can I recover deleted mail storage?
No, once you delete mail storage, it cannot be recovered.
9. Will deleting mail storage delete my iCloud emails?
No, deleting mail storage only removes the downloaded content on your mac, not your remote emails on iCloud.
10. How long does it take to delete mail storage?
The time it takes to delete mail storage depends on the size of the storage, your mac’s speed, and other factors.
11. Do I need to close mail app before deleting mail storage?
No, you don’t need to close mail app before deleting mail storage.
12. Can I delete mail storage for specific email accounts?
Yes, you can delete mail storage for specific email accounts by going to Preferences > Accounts > selecting the account > Mailbox Behaviors > Reset > Erase downloaded mail.
13. Is it safe to delete mail storage?
Yes, it is safe to delete mail storage as long as you follow the correct steps. Make sure to backup important attachments before deleting mail storage.
How to Delete Mail Storage on Mac
Dealing with a cluttered Mac can be a hassle, especially when it comes to your mail storage. If you’re noticing that your Mac’s mail storage is taking up too much space, it’s important to learn how to delete it. Fortunately, deleting mail storage on Mac is a relatively simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. In this article, we’ll outline the steps you need to follow to delete mail storage on your Mac and free up some much-needed space on your computer.
Deleting mail storage on Mac can be a real lifesaver when it comes to freeing up space on your computer. Whether you’re dealing with a full hard drive or just want to keep your computer running smoothly, deleting your mail storage is a simple process that anyone can do. Just follow the steps outlined in this article, and you’ll be well on your way to having a cleaner, more organized Mac.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article on how to delete mail storage on Mac. We hope that you found it informative and helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. As always, happy Mac cleaning!