Screen recording is becoming more and more important nowadays. Whether you are creating tutorials, making presentations, or doing game commentary, screen recording has become an essential tool. If you are a Mac user and you are wondering how to screen record audio on Mac, you are in the right place. In this article, we will walk you through the process step by step.
Step 1: Choose a screen recorder
The first step towards screen recording audio on your Mac is to select the software you are going to use. There are plenty of screen recording software available for both free and paid options. However, it is important to choose wisely according to your needs. Because some recorders may not have the audio recording option available. Here are some of the screen recording options that are suitable for Mac.
Step 2: Turn on System Audio
Once you have a screen recorder installed in your Mac, the next step is to turn on the system audio. This option is crucial whenever you are screen recording. Without the system audio turned on, you will not be able to capture any audio. To turn on the audio, go to the System Preferences and click on the ‘Sound’ icon. Make sure that the internal microphone is selected.
Step 3: Choose the recording area
The third step is to choose the area that you want to record. You can select the entire screen or choose a specific area. Many screen recorders will have this option available, and you can adjust the recording screen according to your preferences. If you are not interested in capturing the audio from the entire screen, make sure to select a specific area by adjusting the recording screen.
Step 4: Decide on the Audio Source
Now that you have selected the recording area, the next step is to decide on the audio source. There are two options that you can choose from: Internal Audio or External Audio. If you want to record audio coming from your computer, select internal audio. However, if you want to record audio from an external device like a microphone, choose the second option.
Step 5: Adjust the Volume Settings
Before you start recording audio on your Mac, you should also consider adjusting the volume settings. Make sure that the microphone volume is adjusted correctly. An ideal setting would be a medium volume to avoid distortion during playback. On the other hand, you should keep the audio level low if the audio is coming from your computer. This tip will help avoid any distorted sound recordings.
Step 6: Start Recording
Once you’ve adjusted everything, the next step is to start recording the audio. Click the record button, and the screen recording software will start capturing everything that you want to record. At this stage, make sure to follow the script or process that you had initially planned on recording. Stay focused to get exceptional results.
Step 7: End Recording
After you have finished recording, end the recording by clicking the recording button again. At times, you may not be happy with the outcome of the recording. In such cases, you can always retake the recording to get the clean sound that you desire.
Step 8: Cut, trim, or edit the recording
This step is optional. If you’re not satisfied with the recording audio, you can edit or cut the audio to your preference. There are different tools that you can use to edit audios. Among the commonly used tools in Mac include QuickTime, iMovie, and GarageBand. These tools contain everything that you need to edit your audio.
Step 9: Save the recording
Once you have edited the recording to your satisfaction, it is time to save it. Give the audio a name that you will easily remember. Choose a format that you can easily use. Save the audio in an accessible folder in your Mac’s hard drive.
Step 10: Test the audio recording
Never assume that the audio recording is of high quality until you test it. Play it through to see if the sound quality is clear. If you are not satisfied with the audio, you can always tweak it again until you achieve the desired effect.
Step 11: Share the Recording
The ultimate goal of recording audio is to share it with people. If you’re sharing it on social media, you can export it to YouTube or Vimeo. In doing so, it will be easy for others to access the recording. If you’re sharing the recording internally, for example, with your team, you can share via iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
Step 12: Record the audio again if necessary
In case the audio recording is not of good quality, you can always record it again. Repeat the steps above until you achieve the desired quality.
Screen recording audio on a Mac is not that difficult. However, there are several tips that you can use to get it right, and they include the following:
Tip 1: Use the right software
Always use the appropriate software according to your preference. Some of the commonly used software includes QuickTime, iMovie, and GarageBand.
Tip 2: Use a quality microphone
A high-quality microphone is vital in getting high-quality audio recordings. If you cannot purchase a recording microphone, use a decent headphone that comes with an in-built microphone.
Tip 3: Turn off notifications
Ensure you turn off all notifications before recording. This will help in preventing any sounds that may interrupt the recording.
Tip 4: Use a noise-canceling software
To ensure that only the intended audio is captured, it’s advisable to use noise-canceling software. Such software helps in reducing any external sounds that may interfere with the audio recordings.
Tip 5: Use a pop filter
A pop filter helps in reducing any popping sounds that occur during the recording. Also, it limits the harsh consonant sounds that occur during editing.
Tip 6: Use headphones
Wearing headphones during recording helps in avoiding any echoes that may occur when recording audio. Therefore, always use the right headphones.
Tip 7: Keep the audio file size small
To save on storage space, compress the audio file size. This way, you can add notes, tags, or even comments to the recording without worrying about storage running out.
Tip 8: Use a script
It is easy to lose track when you are recording audio. That’s why using a script helps in keeping you on track while recording.
Tip 9: Consider the environment
Ensure you record in a quiet environment with minimal interference to get high-quality audio recordings.
Tip 10: Practice before recording
Lastly, practice. Practice before recording to get a flow and an idea of how the recording will go. In doing so, you will always get high-quality audio recordings.
In conclusion, the above article explains the steps that you can follow to screen record audio on your Mac. Following the tips as explained above will always give you high-quality audio recordings. Whether you’re recording for personal or professional gains, always ensure you get the best recordings.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Screen Recording Audio on Mac
1. Easy to use: Mac provides an easy-to-use screen recording tool that lets you start recording audio and video with just a few clicks.
2. Wide Compatibility: You can record audio from any app on your Mac and save it in various audio formats, including MP3, AIFF, and WAV.
3. Accurate recordings: Mac’s built-in screen recording tool comes with advanced audio recording settings, allowing you to record high-quality audio that is clear and precise.
4. Time-Saving: Screen recording audio is a faster and more efficient way to capture long audio conversations or lectures than taking notes or transcribing.
5. Multi-Tasking: With Mac’s screen recording tool, you can simultaneously record video and audio, allowing you to capture interviews, podcasts, and webinars.
6. Editable: You can easily edit your recorded audio files using editing software, such as Audacity or GarageBand, to enhance the sound quality or add special effects.
7. Great for Remote Work: Screen recording audio is an excellent tool for remote workers to conduct client calls, collaborate on group projects, and share important information.
8. Cost-effective: Using Mac’s built-in screen recording tool to capture audio is free and saves you from having to purchase expensive external devices or software.
9. Engaging Content: Audio recordings can be used to create engaging content for podcasts, YouTube videos, and other social media platforms.
10. Recordings Can be Accessed Anywhere: Audio files can be transferred to all your devices with just a few clicks, allowing you to access them from anywhere and anytime.
1. Limited Features: Mac’s built-in screen recording tool lacks advanced features, such as noise reduction and voice adjustments, found in other external recording software.
2. External Noise: Ambient noise from the computer or surrounding environments can affect audio quality, making it difficult to capture clear sound.
3. Learning Curve: Although Mac’s screen recording tool is user-friendly, it still takes some time to learn how to use the software effectively for optimal sound quality
4. Large File Size: High-quality audio recordings can result in large file sizes, taking up space on your computer’s hard drive or cloud storage.
5. Storage Capacity: If you have limited storage space on your Mac, you may not have enough room to save high-quality audio files, leading to regular backups or file deletion.
6. Editing Time: Editing recorded audio files can be time-consuming and require the use of external editing software, which may be difficult for beginners.
7. Audio Mixing: If you want to mix your recorded audio with other sounds, such as music or sound effects, you will need additional software, resulting in more expenses and time.
8. Background Noise: Recording audio in public places or loud environments can result in background noise or interference, affecting sound quality.
9. Audio Lag: Traces of audio lag can occur when recording audio, which can be challenging to edit or repair after recording.
10. Limited Output Options: Mac’s built-in screen recording tool only outputs the recorded audio and video separately, which can be inconvenient for professional purposes.
1. Can I screen record audio on my Mac?
Yes, you can. Mac has a built-in screen recording tool that allows you to capture audio and video.
2. How do I access the screen recording tool?
You can access the screen recording tool by pressing Command + Shift + 5. This will bring up the screen recording options.
3. Can I choose which part of the screen I want to record?
Yes, you can. When you access the screen recording tool, you can choose to record the whole screen or select a specific part of the screen.
4. Can I record only the audio without the video?
Yes, you can. When you access the screen recording tool, you can choose to record only the audio or both the audio and video.
5. Can I record audio from an external microphone?
Yes, you can. When you access the screen recording tool, you can select the external microphone as your audio input.
6. How can I adjust the volume of my recording?
You can adjust the volume of your recording by going to the System Preferences > Sound > Input. From there, you can adjust the input volume of your microphone or external device.
7. Can I edit my screen recording with audio?
Yes, you can. If you have iMovie or any other video editing software, you can edit your screen recording with audio and video.
8. Can I share my screen recording with audio?
Yes, you can. You can share your screen recording with audio by uploading it to a video sharing platform, sending it via email, or sharing it on social media.
9. Can I record audio from a website or app?
Yes, you can. But you need to make sure that the audio is not protected by copyright laws. You also need to get permission from the owner of the website or app.
10. Can I pause my screen recording with audio?
Yes, you can. When you access the screen recording tool, you can choose to pause and resume your recording.
11. How long can I screen record with audio?
You can screen record with audio for as long as you want, but you need to make sure that you have enough storage space on your device.
12. Can I screen record with audio on a PC?
Yes, you can. But you need to use a third-party screen recording software that allows you to capture audio and video.
13. Can I screen record with audio on an iPhone or iPad?
Yes, you can. You can use the built-in screen recording tool on your iPhone or iPad to capture audio and video.
How to Screen Record Audio on Mac
Screen recording is quickly becoming a necessary skill in today’s digital age. Whether you are creating a tutorial, demonstrating a software, or even just capturing a funny moment, the ability to record your screen can come in handy in many different situations. However, when it comes to recording audio on your Mac, things can get a bit trickier. In this article, we will show you how to screen record audio on Mac so you can start creating high-quality recordings in no time.
Conclusion and Closing
Screen recording with audio on Mac is a great way to create engaging content in a variety of situations. Whether you are a blogger, YouTuber, or content creator, the ability to record your screen and audio can help you create high-quality and informative content that your audience will love. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to screen record audio on your Mac in no time, and be well on your way to creating great content that your audience will love. So don’t hesitate, start recording today!
Thank you for joining us on this tutorial and we hope you find this article to be helpful. If you have any other questions regarding screen recording or anything else related to Mac, feel free to explore our website for more helpful tutorials and tips. We wish you the best of luck in your journey to becoming a top-notch content creator!