Have you ever wanted to screen capture on your Mac but didn’t know how to? Well, you’re in luck because in this article we will teach you how to use the snipping tool on Mac in 12 easy steps.
But what is a snipping tool? A snipping tool is an application that allows you to take a screenshot of a specific part of your screen. It’s perfect for when you want to save a certain image or text instead of taking a screenshot of the whole screen.
So without further ado, let’s dive into the steps!
Step 1: Locate the “Spotlight” Search Bar
The first step in using the snipping tool on your Mac is to locate the “Spotlight” search bar. You can do this by pressing the Command + Space Bar, this will bring up the search bar in the top right corner of your screen.
Step 2: Type in “Screenshot”
Once you have located the “Spotlight” search bar, type in the word “Screenshot” and press enter. The Mac interface should then prompt with “Screenshot” options.
Step 3: Choose Your Desired Snipping Tool
After typing in “Screenshot” you will be presented with three options: “Capture Entire Screen”, “Capture Selected Window”, and “Capture Selected Portion”.
“Capture Entire Screen” is used to take a screenshot of your entire screen. “Capture Selected Window” is used to take a screenshot of a specific window that you have chosen, and “Capture Selected Portion” is used to take a screenshot of a specific part of your screen.
Step 4: Choose “Capture Selected Portion”
Now, choose “Capture Selected Portion” to use the snipping tool. This will open up a new window that displays a crosshair cursor.
Step 5: Position the Crosshair Cursor
Using the crosshair cursor, position it over the area that you want to take a screenshot of.
Step 6: Click and Drag Your Cursor
Click and drag your cursor over the area that you want to snip.
Step 7: Release Your Cursor
Once you have selected the area that you want to snip, release your cursor.
Step 8: Snip is Copied to Clipboard
After you have released your cursor, the snip you made will be copied to your clipboard.
Step 9: Paste Snip onto Your Desired Application
Now that you have a snip saved to your clipboard, you can paste it onto your desired application by pressing Command + V or by right-clicking and selecting “Paste”.
Step 10: Save Snip as an Image
If you want to save your snip as an image for later use, you can do this by right-clicking the snip, selecting “Save As…”, and choosing your desired file format.
Step 11: Edit Your Snip
If you want to edit your snip, you can also do this by opening the image in Preview or another image editing software.
Step 12: Experiment with Different Snip Sizes and Formats
Now that you know how to use the snipping tool on your Mac, try experimenting with different snip sizes and formats to find the one that suits your needs.
The snipping tool on Mac is a quick and easy way to take a screenshot of a specific area of your screen without having to take a screenshot of the entire screen and then cropping it afterwards. This tool is perfect for those who need to capture a specific piece of information on their screen.
It’s important to know the different options that are available to you when using the snipping tool. For example, if you need to take a screenshot of an entire webpage, you can use “Capture Entire Screen”. However, if you only need to snip a small portion of the screen, use “Capture Selected Portion”.
It’s also essential to know how to save your snips and edit them if needed. Knowing how to save your snips will allow you to use them in the future without having to take a new screenshot. Editing your snips will help you make the most of the information that you have captured.
Tips and Tricks
1. Use Keyboard Shortcuts
Using keyboard shortcuts is the fastest way to use the snipping tool. Remember that “Command + Space” will bring up the “Spotlight” search bar and “Command + Shift + 5” will open the “Screenshot” options.
2. Learn the Different Options
It’s essential to understand the different options available to you when using the snipping tool. Experiment with the different options until you find the one that works best for you.
3. Utilize Preview
Preview is a great image editing software that comes with your Mac. Use this software to edit your snips if needed.
4. Save Snips for Later Use
Save your snips as images for later use. This will save you time and allow you to use the information that you captured more efficiently.
5. Name Your Files
It’s important to name your files something that you will remember. This will make it easier to find the snip that you need later on.
6. Use Snip and Email
If you need to send a snip to someone via email, simply snip the information and paste it into the body of the email. This will save you time and ensure that the information is delivered quickly.
7. Utilize iCloud
Using iCloud is a great way to share snips between your Mac and other devices.
8. Customize Your Options
Customize your snipping tool options to include a timer. This will allow you to set up a snip and then step out of the way before the snip is taken.
9. Use the Magnifier Tool
The magnifier tool can be used to make sure that your snips are as accurate as possible.
10. Take Your Time
Finally, take your time when using the snipping tool. This will ensure that you get the information that you need without having to go back and repeat the process.
That’s it! We hope that this article has been helpful in teaching you how to use the snipping tool on your Mac. Remember to experiment with different options and have fun snipping!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Snipping Tool on Mac
1. Ease of use – The Snipping Tool on Mac is easy to use and has a simple user interface, making it accessible to people of all skill levels.
2. Versatility – The tool allows you to capture various types of screenshots, including full-screen captures, selected window captures, and even free-form snips.
3. No need for third-party software – The Snipping Tool comes pre-installed in the Mac OS, eliminating the need to purchase and download additional software.
4. Flexibility – It enables you to capture screenshots in different file formats such as PNG, JPEG, TIFF, and others, allowing you to select the format that best suits your needs.
5. Supports basic editing – It allows basic editing such as highlighting, cropping, and adding annotations, enabling you to spruce up your screenshots or customize them for different purposes.
6. Time-Saving – The shortcut keys provided make is easy and faster to use, significantly saving your time.
7. Integrated Sharing Options – The tool allows you to share screenshots directly without having to leave the tool or save the screenshot first.
8. Works offline – This tool works offline, so you can use it even when you do not have an internet connection.
9. Supports Different Languages – The Snipping Tool is available in different languages, making it accessible to people from different regions.
10. Available for Free – The Snipping Tool is free to use, and you don’t have to pay anything for it.
1. Limited Customization Options – The tool only provides basic editing options, which may not be enough for more advanced users.
2. No Scrolling Screenshots – The tool doesn’t support scrolling screenshots, which means you cannot capture entire web pages or long documents
3. Supports Mac Only – The Snipping Tool is only available for Mac, limiting its user base, and isn’t compatible with other operating systems.
4. Not Suitable for Capturing Videos – The tool is designed for capturing screenshots only and doesn’t support video recording.
5. Limited Storage – If you save a lot of screenshots regularly, the tool may take up a lot of storage space, reducing your available storage.
6. No OCR – The tool doesn’t support OCR (Optical Character Recognition), which means you cannot convert text in images to editable text.
7. No Advanced Features – The tool doesn’t have advanced features like screen recording or advanced editing options, which may be needed for complex projects.
8. May Not Capture Everything – Sometimes, the tool may not capture some parts of the screen or miss some details, leading to incomplete or less precise screenshots.
9. No Multiple Screenshots – The tool doesn’t allow you to capture multiple screenshots at once, which may be inconvenient for users who need to capture a lot of screenshots regularly.
10. Limited Sharing Options – The tool only provides basic sharing options and doesn’t support sharing to all platforms, limiting the sharing options.
Despite the disadvantages, the Snipping Tool on Mac is still an excellent tool for capturing screenshots and is ideal for people who need to capture simple screenshots without the need for advanced features.
1. What is a snipping tool?
A snipping tool is a program that allows you to take screenshots or captures of the screen on your computer or laptop. It is a useful tool if you need to capture and share images or documents with others.
2. Is there a snipping tool available for Mac?
Yes, there is a snipping tool available for Mac called Grab. This is a built-in tool that comes with most Mac computers and can be accessed in the Applications/Utilities folder or through Spotlight search.
3. How do I access the Grab tool on my Mac?
You can access the Grab tool by opening the Applications folder and then clicking on the Utilities folder. From there, you should see the Grab app listed.
4. What types of screenshots can I take using the Grab tool?
You can take four types of screenshots using the Grab tool: Selection, Window, Screen, and Timed Screen.
5. How do I use the Selection screenshot tool?
To use the Selection screenshot tool, simply open the Grab app and select “Selection” from the menu bar. Then, drag your mouse over the area that you want to capture and release when you are done.
6. How do I use the Window screenshot tool?
To use the Window screenshot tool, open the Grab app and select “Window” from the menu bar. Then, click on the specific window that you want to capture, and the screenshot will be taken.
7. How do I use the Screen screenshot tool?
To use the Screen screenshot tool, open the Grab app and select “Screen” from the menu bar. Then, click the Capture button to take a screenshot of the entire screen.
8. How do I use the Timed Screen screenshot tool?
To use the Timed Screen screenshot tool, open the Grab app and select “Timed Screen” from the menu bar. Then, click the “Start Timer” button and wait for the countdown to finish. The screenshot will be taken automatically after the timer runs out.
9. Where are my screenshots saved when I use the Grab tool?
Your screenshots are saved as .tiff files in the location that you specify when you save them. You can choose to save them to any location on your computer, including your desktop or a specific folder.
10. Can I edit my screenshots using the Grab tool?
No, the Grab tool does not have any editing features. However, you can open the screenshot in a third-party image editor, such as Preview, and make any necessary edits there.
11. Are there any other snipping tools available for Mac?
Yes, there are several third-party snipping tools available for Mac, including Snagit, Skitch, and Greenshot.
12. Can I use keyboard shortcuts with the Grab tool?
Yes, you can use several keyboard shortcuts with the Grab tool, including Command+Shift+3 for a Screen capture, and Command+Shift+4 for a Selection capture.
13. How do I take a screenshot of a specific menu using the Grab tool?
To take a screenshot of a specific menu using the Grab tool, open the menu that you want to capture and then open the Grab app. Select “Capture” from the menu bar and then select “Timed Screen.” Click the “Start Timer” button and then open the menu that you want to capture. The screenshot will be taken automatically after the timer runs out.
How to Use Snipping Tool on Mac
Have you ever needed to take a screenshot on your Mac, but didn’t know how to do it? Fortunately, there is a simple tool called the snipping tool that can help. Here’s how to use the snipping tool on your Mac.
Conclusion and Closing
Using the snipping tool on your Mac is a quick and easy way to take screenshots and make sure you capture exactly what you need. With a few simple steps, you can take a screenshot of any part of your screen and save it as an image file.
So next time you need to take a screenshot on your Mac, don’t panic. Just remember to use the snipping tool and follow the steps outlined above. Happy snipping!
Until next time, thanks for reading and have a great day!