Hello there! Are you having trouble with never-ending phone calls on your Mac? Do you find constant call notifications disturbing your workflow? Well, fret not, as we have got you covered with our article on “How to Turn off Phone Calls on Mac”.
Whether you are working on an important project or having some leisure time, uninterrupted notifications can be an annoyance. In this article, we will guide you through easy-to-follow steps that will help you disable phone calls on your Mac. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into the steps.
Step 1: Access FaceTime Preferences
The first step is to access FaceTime preferences. Click on the FaceTime icon located in the dock, or open it from the Applications folder in Finder. From the menu bar, click on “FaceTime” and select “Preferences”.
Step 2: Disable iPhone Cellular Calls
Once you have accessed FaceTime preferences, click on the “Settings” tab. Under Settings, you will find the option of “iPhone Cellular Calls”. Untick this option to stop phone calls from coming to your Mac.
Step 3: Turn off FaceTime for Mac
Another way to disable phone calls on your Mac is to turn off FaceTime. In the preferences window, click on the “Sign out” button to turn off FaceTime for Mac.
Step 4: Turn on Do Not Disturb
If you want to temporarily turn off all notifications on your Mac, you can turn on Do Not Disturb. Simply click on the Notification Center icon located in the top right corner of your Mac screen, swipe down to access the Control Center, and click on the “Do Not Disturb” button.
Step 5: Customize Do Not Disturb Settings
You can also customize Do Not Disturb settings to allow certain calls or notifications. Under “System Preferences”, click on “Notifications”. From the list, select “Do Not Disturb” and customize the settings according to your preferences.
Step 6: Use Terminal
For the advanced users, you can also disable phone calls using Terminal. Launch Terminal from the Utilities folder in Applications. Type in the following command: “defaults write com.apple.imservice.FaceTime disableiMessages -bool TRUE”. Press Enter to execute the command.
Step 7: Restart Your Mac
Once you have disabled phone calls, it is recommended to restart your Mac for the changes to take effect. Click on the Apple icon located in the top left corner of your screen, select “Restart”, and confirm the action.
Step 8: Update macOS
If you are having trouble disabling phone calls on an older version of macOS, it is recommended to update to the latest version. Click on the Apple icon, select “System Preferences”, and click on “Software Update”.
Step 9: Turn off Notifications for Individual Apps
You can also turn off notifications for individual apps that constantly send notifications. Under “System Preferences”, click on “Notifications” and select the app you want to disable notifications for.
Step 10: Mute Conversations on iMessage
If you want to mute specific conversations on iMessage, simply right-click on the conversation and select “Notifications” and “Mute”.
Step 11: Disable Notifications on iPhone
If you do not want to receive phone calls on your Mac, you can disable notifications on your iPhone. Go to “Settings”, select “Notifications”, and turn off notifications for FaceTime.
Step 12: Airplane Mode
Lastly, you can turn on Airplane mode to temporarily disable phone calls on your Mac. Simply click on the Notification Center icon, swipe down to access the Control Center, and click on the “Airplane” button.
Now that you know the 12 simple steps to disable phone calls on your Mac, let’s delve into the technicalities of these steps.
The first few steps involve accessing the preferences of FaceTime, which is the default calling app on macOS. Disabling iPhone Cellular Calls and turning off FaceTime for Mac are two of the most basic ways to stop phone calls from coming to your Mac.
Do Not Disturb is another useful feature that allows you to turn off notifications temporarily, without disabling them entirely. You can also customize the settings for Do Not Disturb to allow certain notifications or phone calls.
Using Terminal can be an advanced way to disable phone calls, but it should be used with caution as it involves entering commands that may affect other areas of your macOS. You can also update macOS to the latest version to troubleshoot if you are having trouble disabling phone calls on an older version.
Disabling notifications for individual apps, muting conversations on iMessage, and turning off notifications on your iPhone are all effective ways to stop phone calls from coming to your Mac. Lastly, Airplane mode can be used to disable all network connections, including phone calls.
Tips and Tricks
Now that you know the steps and explanation, here are some tips and tricks to enhance your experience on macOS:
Tip 1: Use Siri to Turn off Phone Calls
You can also use Siri to turn off phone calls on your Mac. Simply say “Hey Siri, turn off phone calls” and confirm the action.
Tip 2: Schedule Do Not Disturb
You can also schedule Do Not Disturb to automatically turn on during certain hours, such as during your work hours or bedtime.
Tip 3: Use Keyboard Shortcuts
You can use keyboard shortcuts to turn on or off Do Not Disturb quickly. Press “Option + Click” on the Notification Center icon to turn on/off Do Not Disturb.
Tip 4: Customize Notification Settings
Under “System Preferences”, you can customize the notification settings for each app. You can choose to disable badge notifications or select sound alerts according to your preferences.
Tip 5: Use Third-Party Apps
There are various third-party apps available on the App Store that can completely disable notifications or allow you to customize them according to your preferences.
Tip 6: Use AirPods
If you want to take a phone call without disturbing others, you can use AirPods or any other Bluetooth headset to connect to your Mac and take the call discreetly.
Tip 7: Disconnect Wi-Fi
If you want to disconnect from all network connections, you can simply turn off Wi-Fi to disable phone calls.
Tip 8: Use “Do Not Disturb While Driving”
If you are driving, you can also turn on “Do Not Disturb While Driving” to disable all notifications and phone calls.
Tip 9: Use Silent Mode
You can also turn on Silent Mode to disable all sound alerts for phone calls or notifications.
Tip 10: Use Screen Time
Screen Time is a useful feature that allows you to restrict certain apps or notifications according to your preferences. You can set limits for phone calls or completely disable them during certain hours.
That’s it for our article on “How to Turn off Phone Calls on Mac”. We hope that these steps, explanations, and tips will help you enhance your user experience on macOS.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Turning off Phone Calls on Mac
1. Peaceful working environment: By turning off phone calls on Mac, you can work without distraction which will result in higher productivity and efficiency.
2. Focus on important tasks: Without constant interruption from phone calls, you can stay focused on important tasks and meet deadlines faster.
3. Privacy: If you work with sensitive information or simply value your privacy, turning off phone calls on Mac is a good option. You won’t have to worry about anyone overhearing your conversations.
4. Less Stressful: With no incoming calls, you manage to stay calm and relaxed at your workplace.
5. More Control: You have full control over who to talk with or when to make a call. This way, you can prioritize tasks and stay on top of your schedule.
6. Increased Battery Life: Turning off phone calls on your Mac can save battery life, which is a perk if you work remotely or mobile.
7. Reduced Distraction: When you are in an important meeting or working on a delicate project, silence your phone calls can help you concentrate better.
8. Better Work-Life Balance: Separating work and personal life can be challenging. By turning off phone calls on your Mac, you can create a clear divide and achieve a better work-life balance.
9. Cost-Effective: Some phone calls might involve additional charges, especially if you’re travelling abroad. By turning off phone calls on your Mac, you can avoid such unnecessary costs.
10. Personal Preferences: Finally, it’s all about personal preference. Everyone has different working styles and habits. Turning off phone calls on your Mac might suit you better, increasing your overall job satisfaction.
1. Missed Calls: The most apparent disadvantage of turning off phone calls on your Mac is that you might miss important calls and messages.
2. Reduced Connectivity: By turning off your phone calls, you might limit your connectivity with people outside of your work.
3. Inability to make calls: Turning off your phone calls means you won’t be able to make any calls as well, which can be a significant disadvantage in emergencies.
4. Limited Availability: Clients or coworkers might find it challenging to reach out to you, which could result in losing business opportunities.
5. Dependence on other devices: If you turn off phone calls on your Mac, you’ll need to switch to other devices to make or receive calls. This could be an inconvenience when all your work is on your Mac.
6. Missed Deadlines: One missed call can lead to missed deadlines, which could ruin your work and reputation.
7. Confusion: If you have many devices, managing your calls can get confusing, leading to calls being missed or ignored.
8. Incompatibility: Some devices, including older models, might not support turning off phone calls on your Mac.
9. No Video Call Option: Mac offers an option of video calls, but sadly, turning off phone calls means there are no video call options available.
10. Inconvenience: It could be more inconvenient to switch between devices to make and answer calls, especially if all your work is on your Mac.
1. Can I turn off phone calls on my Mac?
Yes, you can turn off phone calls on your Mac. Keep reading to find out how!
2. Why would I want to turn off phone calls on my Mac?
If you find phone calls on your Mac to be distracting or if you prefer to take your calls on your phone directly, you might want to turn off phone calls on your Mac.
3. How do I turn off phone calls on my Mac?
Go to System Preferences > iCloud > Uncheck the box next to “Enable this account” under the “FaceTime” section.
4. Does turning off phone calls on my Mac affect my phone calls on my iPhone?
No, turning off phone calls on your Mac only affects phone calls on your Mac. It does not affect calls to or from your iPhone.
5. What happens to incoming phone calls on my Mac when I turn off phone calls?
Incoming phone calls on your Mac will no longer appear or ring on your Mac if you turn off phone calls. They will still appear and ring on your iPhone.
6. Can I turn off phone calls on a per-contact basis on my Mac?
No, you cannot turn off phone calls on a per-contact basis on your Mac. It is an all-or-nothing setting.
7. How do I know if phone calls are turned on or off on my Mac?
Go to System Preferences > iCloud and look for the “FaceTime” section. If the box next to “Enable this account” is unchecked, phone calls are turned off on your Mac.
8. Can I still make phone calls on my Mac if I turn off phone calls?
Yes, you can still make phone calls on your Mac using the FaceTime app or other third-party apps. However, incoming phone calls will not appear or ring on your Mac.
9. Will turning off phone calls affect my ability to send and receive text messages on my Mac?
No, turning off phone calls on your Mac does not affect your ability to send and receive text messages on your Mac.
10. Can I turn off phone calls on my Mac but still receive notifications for missed calls?
Yes, you can turn off phone calls on your Mac but still receive notifications for missed calls. To do this, go to System Preferences > Notifications > FaceTime and make sure the “Allow Notifications from FaceTime” option is checked.
11. Is there a way to quickly turn off phone calls on my Mac without going into System Preferences?
Yes, you can quickly turn off phone calls on your Mac by opening the FaceTime app and going to Menu > Preferences > uncheck “Calls from iPhone.”
12. Will turning off phone calls on my Mac save battery life?
It might save some battery life, as it reduces the number of processes running on your Mac. However, the amount of battery saved is likely to be minimal.
13. Can I turn off phone calls on a per-device basis using iCloud?
No, you cannot turn off phone calls on a per-device basis using iCloud. It is an account-level setting.
How to Turn Off Phone Calls on Mac
Have you ever experienced the annoyance of receiving phone calls on your Mac while you are in the middle of working on an important project? If you are like me, then you prefer to use your Mac solely for work purposes and not be distracted by phone calls. In this article, we will discuss how to turn off phone calls on Mac, so you can focus on your work without any interruptions.
Turning off phone calls on Mac is a simple process that can be done easily through the settings. By following the steps mentioned above, you can disable phone calls from appearing on your Mac and stay focused on your work. Remember, productivity is key when it comes to work, and eliminating distractions like phone calls is a great way to increase productivity and get things done efficiently. So, go ahead and turn off those phone calls on your Mac and see the difference it makes.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. We hope that this tutorial on how to turn off phone calls on a Mac has been helpful to you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Until next time, happy working!