Hello there, Mac users! Are you experiencing pop up issues on your Mac? You are not alone! Pop-ups are very annoying and can be a threat to your online security. Today, we will be discussing how to unblock pop-ups on Mac. Follow these steps and tips to make sure you can continue browsing safely and smoothly without getting interrupted by pop-ups.
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences
Click on Safari on the top left corner of your screen.
A pulldown menu will appear, click on Preferences from the list.
Click on Websites
Select the Websites tab in the menu bar on the top of the screen.
Step 2: Pop-up Windows
Untick Block pop-up windows
Scroll down to the Pop-up Windows tab on the left side of the screen and untick the box next to Block pop-up windows.
Step 3: Manage Website Settings
Click to manage website settings for pop-ups
On the same Pop-up Windows tab, click on the Manage Website Settings button on the right side of the screen.
Step 4: Allow Pop-ups for Specific Websites
Add website that you want to allow pop-ups
There will be a list of current websites that you have allowed pop-ups for. To add a new website, click on the + button and type in the URL of the website that you wish to allow pop-ups for.
Step 5: Disable Pop-up Blocker from Chrome
Launch Google Chrome on your Mac
Click on Chrome from the top left corner of your screen to open a pulldown menu. From the menu, select Preferences.
Disable pop-up blocker
Scroll down the Preferences page to Advanced, click on it, and then select Site Settings from the list. Under Site Settings, select Pop-ups and Redirects and toggle the switch to allow pop-ups.
Step 6: Allow Pop-ups on Firefox Browser
Open Firefox Preferences
Click on Firefox from the top left corner of your screen, from the drop-down menu, select Preferences.
Select Content from Preferences
Select the Content tab on the top of the screen. Scroll down to the Pop-ups section. Tick the box called Block pop-up windows to disable it.
Step 7: Disable Pop-up Blocker for Opera
Open Settings tab on Opera
Click on Opera from the top left corner of your screen and then select Settings from the drop-down menu.
Go to Website Settings
Select Websites on the left side of the screen, and go to the Pop-ups section. Set the switch to off under the Block pop-ups option.
Step 8: Alter Settings via Terminal
Open Terminal app on your Mac
Type in this command – defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
Relaunch Safari and Enable Debug
Relaunch Safari and a new menu called Debug should have appeared. Find Disable Pop-up Blocking and deselect it.
Step 9: Keep Cisco WebEx Extension up-to-date
Open Chrome and Go to More Tools on Browser
Select More Tools and then open Extensions
Update Cisco WebEx
Locate Cisco WebEx under the list of extensions and click on Update. Keep this extension up-to-date to prevent pop-up issues.
Step 10: Disable Pop-ups for Safari – Mojave
Open your System Preferences
Select System Preferences in the Apple menu located on the top left corner of your screen.
Go to Security and Privacy
Open the Security and Privacy option and then select the Privacy tab.
Select Safari under the Files and Folders Options
Put a tick next to Safari to allow the app to access your files and folders. This will prevent pop-up blockers from activating.
Step 11: Check for Malware or Adware
Download a reliable anti-virus software
Install and run an anti-virus software such as Malwarebytes or Avast. Scan for any adware or malware that could be causing pop-up issues.
Step 12: Clear Browser Cache and History
Open Settings on your browser
Select your browser and click on Settings.
Find and select the History tab on the left side of the screen
Clear Cache and Cookies
Clear your cache and cookies to ensure that all the data from previous browsing sessions is cleared.
Explanation and Tips
Now that you’ve gone through the steps to deal with pop-ups on your Mac, let’s dive deeper into why these ads or pop-ups might come up in the first place. One of the most common reasons is simply that the websites you’re browsing are programmed to have pop-ups enabled. Pop-ups are used as a way for website owners to show ads, gather email addresses or PDF downloads or even offer a discount or signup offer. However, some pop-ups may be unsolicited and can cause alarm or disruption to your browsing.
1. Update your browser to the latest version to ensure a smooth browsing experience and minimal pop-ups.
2. Use an ad-blocker extension to limit pop-ups and ads while you browse.
3. Be careful when you’re on sites that are not familiar or trustworthy as these tend to prompt more pop-ups.
4. Review and adjust your browser settings every so often to ensure that the settings and extensions you’ve set up are still working as intended.
5. Disable any unknown extensions or toolbars on your browser to ensure security.
6. Avoid clicking on suspicious links or pop-ups as this can lead to viruses or malware problems.
7. Turn on your pop-up blocker whenever you’re on an unfamiliar or unusually ad-heavy website.
8. Check the reviews and ratings of browser extensions before downloading them to minimize potential risks.
9. Use antivirus software to ensure that your device is safe and secure from potentially malicious pop-ups and warnings.
10. Use common sense and be vigilant when browsing online.
In summary, pop-ups can be a frustrating and disruptive part of browsing, but with these steps and tips, you’ll be able to easily deal with them whenever they appear. Regular maintenance of your browser settings and a little bit of common sense can go a long way in ensuring that you’re operating your Mac smoothly.
Advantages and Disadvantages of How to Unblock Pop-up on Mac
1. Provides better user experience by allowing pop-ups that are legitimate and important.
2. Allows users to have control over the pop-up settings, making their browsing experience more personalized and efficient.
3. Increases productivity by allowing important pop-ups like emails, notifications, and alerts to show up on the screen.
4. Improves online security by blocking the fraudulent and malicious pop-ups that can lead to viruses or scams.
5. Helps reduce frustration and annoyance caused by unwanted and irrelevant pop-ups.
6. Helps maintain the privacy of browsing data by blocking pop-ups that track user behavior and collect personal data.
7. Allows users to manage and block specific pop-ups from certain websites or pages.
8. Keeps distractions to a minimum by blocking unnecessary pop-ups and ads.
9. Helps in saving data usage and internet speed, by blocking unwanted pop-ups.
10. Provides a smooth and hassle-free browsing experience.
1. Sometimes, legitimate pop-ups can also get blocked, causing inconvenience.
2. Pop-up blockers can sometimes cause compatibility issues with certain websites or applications.
3. Users may have to manually enable pop-ups on certain websites, which can be time-consuming.
4. It can lead to decreased revenue for websites that depend on advertising for their income.
5. Certain pop-ups like survey invitations or newsletter sign-ups may get blocked, leading to loss of engagement or feedback from users.
6. Pop-up blockers may not be effective against certain types of malicious pop-ups, making the user vulnerable to security threats.
7. Pop-up blockers may not work on frequently used websites that the user trusts and visits regularly.
8. Some pop-up blockers may slow down the browser or cause it to crash, resulting in a poor browsing experience.
9. Pop-up blockers may not be able to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant pop-ups, causing confusion for the user.
10. It requires some technical knowledge to enable or disable pop-ups, which may be difficult for some users.
1. What are pop-ups on Mac?
Pop-ups on Mac are small windows that appear on your screen without your consent. They often contain advertisements, messages, or alerts.
2. Why do pop-ups appear on my Mac?
Pop-ups can appear on your Mac due to various reasons such as visiting websites that have pop-ups enabled, downloading and installing software, or having malware on your system.
3. Are all pop-ups on Mac harmful?
No, not all pop-ups on Mac are harmful, but some may be. Harmful pop-ups may contain links to malicious websites or may download malware onto your device. Therefore, it is crucial to be cautious when dealing with pop-ups.
4. How can I block pop-ups on Mac?
You can block pop-ups on Mac using your browser’s settings. In Safari, go to Preferences, click on the Security tab, and enable the Block pop-up windows option. Alternatively, you can use a third-party ad-blocker to block pop-ups.
5. How do I know if pop-ups are blocked on my Mac?
To check if pop-ups are blocked on your Mac, try visiting a website known for having pop-ups. If the website’s pop-ups are successfully blocked, you will not see any pop-up window.
6. What if I need pop-ups enabled for some websites?
If you need pop-ups enabled for some websites, you can customize your browser’s settings to allow pop-ups on those specific websites only. In Safari, go to Preferences, click on the Websites tab, and select Pop-up Windows on the left-hand side to customize your pop-up settings for each website separately.
7. How do I unblock pop-ups on Mac?
If you have previously blocked pop-ups on your Mac and want to unblock them, you can go back to your browser’s settings, and disable pop-up blocking. Alternatively, you can whitelist the website that you trust and want to allow pop-ups from.
8. How can I remove malware that causes pop-ups on my Mac?
You can remove malware that causes pop-ups on your Mac using antivirus software or by following the steps provided by Apple’s official guidelines. Additionally, you should avoid downloading and installing software from untrusted sources, and regularly update your system and antivirus software.
9. Can I turn off pop-up notifications on Mac?
Yes, you can turn off pop-up notifications on Mac by going to System Preferences, clicking on Notifications, and disabling notifications for the apps that display pop-up notifications.
10. How can I prevent pop-ups from showing up while I am watching videos?
You can prevent pop-ups from showing up while watching videos by using fullscreen mode, which will fill the entire screen and block any pop-ups.
11. How can I identify a harmful pop-up on my Mac?
A harmful pop-up may contain suspicious links, offer free software downloads, display alarming messages, or ask for your personal information. If you encounter a pop-up that seems suspicious, it’s best to close it and avoid clicking on any links or providing any personal information.
12. Why do some websites ask me to disable pop-up blocking?
Some websites ask you to disable pop-up blocking because they use pop-ups as part of their functionality, such as for online shopping, creating accounts, or filling a form. In such cases, it’s safe to temporarily disable pop-up blocking for that specific website only.
13. What is the best way to deal with pop-ups on my Mac?
The best way to deal with pop-ups on your Mac is to be cautious and take necessary precautions such as having up-to-date antivirus software, regularly updating your system, and avoiding untrusted websites and downloads. Additionally, you should adjust your browser’s settings to block or allow pop-ups, depending on your needs.
How to Unblock Pop-up on Mac
Pop-up blockers can be an important tool to avoid getting unwanted advertisements or other content in your web browsing experience. However, there are times when you might want to allow pop-ups on certain websites or in specific situations. If you’re a Mac user and are wondering how to unblock pop-ups, this guide will give you the steps to do so.
Conclusion and Closing
If you’ve been struggling with how to unblock pop-ups on your Mac, you now have the knowledge to do so. Remember to always be cautious when allowing pop-ups, as they can sometimes be used for malicious purposes. If you follow the steps outlined in this guide, you can set your pop-up preferences to best suit your internet usage and keep your Mac running smoothly.
Thank you for reading this guide and we hope it helped you with your pop-up blocker issues. Best of luck with your future browsing experiences, and don’t forget to always stay safe and secure online!