Minecraft is a popular game across the world, attracting both young and adult gamers. However, there are times when you may want to uninstall Minecraft from your Mac. Maybe you need to free up disk space, you no longer enjoy the game, or you want to reinstall it later on. Regardless of the reason, the process of uninstallation can be intimidating if you don’t know how to do it. Fortunately, this article will guide you through the steps on how to uninstall Minecraft from your Mac.
Step 1: Quit Minecraft and all associated process
Before you uninstall Minecraft from your Mac, ensure that you close all the associated processes. To do this, open the app ‘Activity Monitor.’ Select Minecraft from the list of apps, click on the ‘X’ icon, and then click on ‘Quit.’
Step 2: Uninstall Minecraft Launcher
The Minecraft Launcher is a separate program that allows you to install and manage Minecraft on your computer. To uninstall the Minecraft Launcher, open Finder, go to your Applications folder, and then drag the Minecraft Launcher app to the trash.
Step 3: Delete Minecraft data from Application Support
When you install Minecraft on your Mac, it creates several files and folders in the Application Support folder. To delete these files, open Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/Application Support/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Locate the ‘Minecraft’ folder and drag it to the trash.
Step 4: Uninstall Minecraft from your Mac using Launchpad
To completely uninstall Minecraft from your Mac, you need to use the Launchpad feature. Click on the Launchpad icon in your Dock, locate the Minecraft icon, click and hold the icon until it starts trembling, and then click on the ‘X’ icon.
Step 5: Delete Minecraft related files from your Library folder
Minecraft creates other support files and folders in the Library folder of your Mac. To delete these files, open the Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Locate the ‘Application Support’ folder and drag the ‘Minecraft’ folder to the trash.
Step 6: Remove Minecraft preferences from your Mac
Minecraft preferences are saved in the Library folder of your Mac. To remove these preferences, open Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/Preferences/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Locate the ‘com.mojang.minecraft.plist’ file and drag it to the trash.
Step 7: Delete Minecraft cache files
Removing cache files frees up disk space on your Mac. To delete Minecraft cache files, open Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/Caches/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Locate the ‘Minecraft’ folder and drag it to the trash.
Step 8: Empty Trash Can on your Mac
All the files and folders from Minecraft that you have deleted are in the trash can. To completely remove them from your Mac, empty the trash can. Right-click on the trash can icon in the dock and select ‘Empty Trash.’
Step 9: Uninstall Java from your Mac
Minecraft depends on Java to function, so you need to uninstall Java as well. Open Finder, go to the Applications folder, and then click on ‘Utilities.’ Locate the ‘Java Preferences’ app and drag it to the trash.
Step 10: Remove Java cache files
Java cache files are stored in different folders on your Mac, and they need to be removed. Open Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/Application Support/Java/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Drag the ‘Java’ folder to the trash.
Step 11: Delete Java preferences
Java preferences contain settings and configurations that you had set up previously. To delete Java preferences, open Finder, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar, select ‘Go to Folder,’ type ‘~/Library/Preferences/’ in the search bar, and then press enter. Locate the ‘com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.plist’ file and drag it to the trash.
Step 12: Restart your Mac
After completing all the above steps, ensure that you restart your Mac to apply the changes.
The process of uninstalling Minecraft on your Mac involves several steps, some of which are not obvious. The first step is to close all Minecraft and associated processes. You also need to remove the Minecraft Launcher, delete Minecraft files from the Application Support folder, and uninstall Minecraft using Launchpad. Furthermore, you need to remove Minecraft preferences, cache files, and empty the trash can. Finally, you need to uninstall Java, remove Java cache files, delete Java preference files, and restart your Mac. By completing all these steps, you will remove Minecraft completely from your Mac.
Tips and Tricks
1. Ensure that you back up your Minecraft files before you uninstall the game to avoid losing your progress and achievements.
2. You can use third-party uninstaller apps, such as AppCleaner and CleanMyMac, to remove Minecraft from your Mac.
3. Before you uninstall Minecraft, ensure that you check whether any other programs depend on Java to function.
4. You can reinstall Minecraft on your Mac anytime you want by downloading it from the official Minecraft website.
5. If you are experiencing issues with Minecraft, such as game crashes and performance issues, you can try resetting your Minecraft game instead of uninstalling and reinstalling it.
6. Updating Java on your Mac can help to improve Minecraft performance.
7. If you are playing on a Minecraft server, ensure that you quit the server and remove it from your server list before you uninstall Minecraft.
8. Delete all the Minecraft related files to free up disk space on your Mac.
9. Before you empty the trash can, ensure that you have reviewed all the items in it.
10. Restarting your Mac can help to clear all the cache and temporary files that may affect Minecraft performance.
In conclusion, uninstalling Minecraft from your Mac may seem complicated, but it is straightforward once you follow the above steps. Ensure that you follow each step carefully, and remember to back up your Minecraft files before you uninstall the game. By completing all the necessary steps and applying the tips and tricks, you can remove Minecraft from your Mac completely.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Uninstalling Minecraft on Mac
If you’re wondering how to uninstall Minecraft on your Mac, there are several advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before taking any actions. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- You can free up space on your hard drive. Uninstalling Minecraft can help you save precious storage space on your Mac, which can be useful if you’re running low on disk space.
- You can improve your Mac’s performance. Minecraft can be a resource-hungry game, and if you’re experiencing lag or other performance issues, uninstalling the game can help improve your Mac’s overall performance.
- You can eliminate distractions. If Minecraft is taking up too much of your time and distracting you from more important tasks, removing the game from your Mac can help you focus on your work and other priorities.
- You can protect your privacy. Uninstalling Minecraft can help protect your privacy by removing any personal data or information that the game may have stored on your Mac.
- You can avoid potential security issues. Minecraft has been known to have security vulnerabilities in the past, and uninstalling the game can help protect your Mac from any potential threats.
- You can try other games. If you’re bored with Minecraft or simply want to try something else, uninstalling the game can free up space on your Mac and allow you to download and play other games.
- You can simplify your computer usage. Removing Minecraft can help simplify your computer usage by eliminating any unnecessary programs or applications and making your Mac run more smoothly and efficiently.
- You can reduce clutter. If you have too many games and applications installed on your Mac, uninstalling Minecraft can help reduce the clutter and organize your files and programs more effectively.
- You can save money. If you’re no longer interested in playing Minecraft and have paid for the game, uninstalling it can help you save money in the long term by not requiring you to pay for future updates and add-ons.
- You can reduce addiction. Minecraft can be highly addictive for some players, and if you’re struggling with addiction or spending too much time on the game, uninstalling it can be a good way to break the addiction cycle.
- You may miss out on future updates and features. If you uninstall Minecraft, you won’t be able to access any future updates, patches, or features that are released for the game.
- You may lose progress and data. If you’ve made progress in Minecraft and have saved data or files, uninstalling the game can result in losing all of your progress and save records.
- You may regret your decision. If you’re unsure about whether or not you want to uninstall Minecraft, you should consider the potential feeling of regret that may come later.
- You may disappoint other players. If you’re part of a Minecraft community or group and decide to uninstall the game, you may disappoint or upset other players who were counting on you to participate.
- You may lose interest in gaming altogether. If you remove Minecraft from your Mac, you may lose interest in gaming altogether and miss out on the many benefits of gaming as a hobby or pastime.
- You may need to repurchase the game in the future. If you decide to reinstall Minecraft in the future, you may need to repurchase the game and all its add-ons and features, which can be costly.
- You may experience FOMO (fear of missing out). If you uninstall Minecraft, you may experience FOMO and feel like you’re missing out on something important or exciting.
- You may struggle to find other games that interest you. If you’re a Minecraft enthusiast and decide to uninstall the game, you may struggle to find other games that interest you and provide the same level of enjoyment.
- You may face criticism or ridicule. If you publicly announce your decision to uninstall Minecraft, you may face criticism or ridicule from other players who don’t understand your reasons for doing so.
- You may lose a source of joy and entertainment. If you’re a Minecraft fan and decide to uninstall the game, you may lose a valuable source of joy and entertainment that you’ve come to rely on and enjoy.
How do I uninstall Minecraft on Mac?
To uninstall Minecraft on Mac, follow these steps:
- Open Finder and click on the “Go” menu.
- Select “Go to Folder” and type in ~/Library/Application Support/
- Find the “Minecraft” folder and delete it.
- Then, go to the “Finder” menu and select “Empty Trash.”
Will uninstalling Minecraft delete my saved worlds?
Yes, uninstalling Minecraft will delete all of your saved worlds. Make sure to backup any important files before uninstalling.
Can I reinstall Minecraft after uninstalling?
Yes, you can reinstall Minecraft after uninstalling. Simply download it again and install it on your Mac.
Will uninstalling Minecraft remove all of its files?
If you follow the steps correctly and delete the “Minecraft” folder in the “Application Support” folder, it should remove all of its files and data.
Can I uninstall Minecraft without deleting my game files?
No, if you uninstall Minecraft, it will delete all game files including saved worlds, skins, and mods.
What if I can’t find the Minecraft folder in Application Support?
Try searching for “Minecraft” on your Mac and delete any files related to it. This should also remove all of its data.
What if Minecraft won’t uninstall?
You can try using a third-party uninstaller tool or contacting Minecraft customer support for assistance.
How much space does Minecraft take up on Mac?
The space required for Minecraft on Mac depends on how many mods, worlds, and resource packs you have installed. On average, Minecraft takes up about 1GB of space.
Can I uninstall Minecraft through the launchpad?
No, the launchpad only deletes the shortcut icon and not the actual program files. You need to manually delete the “Minecraft” folder in the “Application Support” folder to uninstall it.
What is the difference between deleting and uninstalling Minecraft?
Deleting Minecraft can refer to deleting its saved data, while uninstalling Minecraft will completely remove the program and all its files from your Mac.
Is it safe to delete Minecraft?
Yes, it is safe to delete Minecraft as long as you have no further use for it.
Can I uninstall Minecraft using terminal?
Yes, you can use Terminal to uninstall Minecraft by entering the command “sudo rm -r /Applications/Minecraft.app” and pressing enter.
Do I need to restart my Mac after uninstalling Minecraft?
No, restarting your Mac is not necessary after uninstalling Minecraft.
In conclusion, uninstalling Minecraft on a Mac is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. Taking the time to properly uninstall Minecraft can help free up valuable storage space on your computer. Whether you want to simply clear up space or uninstall Minecraft in order to install an updated version, following these steps will ensure you do so without any problems.
We hope this guide on how to uninstall Minecraft on a Mac has been helpful to you. Don’t forget to take the time to properly uninstall Minecraft, as it can make a difference in the performance of your Mac. If you have any questions regarding the uninstallation process, please do not hesitate to reach out to Minecraft support. Thank you for reading and happy gaming! Goodbye!