Greetings to all Mac users out there!
Have you ever downloaded EA’s gaming platform, Origin, on your Mac but then decided to uninstall it? Well, you’re in the right place! In this article, we will guide you through 12 easy steps on how to uninstall Origin on your Mac.
So, without further ado, let’s get started with the steps.
Step 1: Close Origin
Before uninstalling Origin, make sure to close the application completely. You can do this by clicking on the Origin menu at the top left corner of your screen and selecting “Exit Origin.”
Step 2: Remove Origin from Dock
If Origin is still present on your Dock, right-click on the application icon and click “Options.” From there, select “Remove from Dock.”
Step 3: Open Applications Folder
Click on the Finder icon on your Dock, go to “Applications,” and locate the Origin icon.
Step 4: Drag Origin to the Trash
Drag the Origin icon to the Trash bin located on your Dock. You can also right-click on the icon and select “Move to Trash.”
Step 5: Remove Origin’s Service Files
Service files are files that are left behind on your computer even after uninstalling an application. To fully uninstall Origin, you need to remove its service files too. Open Finder and go to “Library” > “Application Support” > “Origin.” Delete the Origin folder.
Step 6: Remove Origin Preferences
Origin preferences are the settings that are saved in your Mac’s memory. To remove these preferences, go to “Library” > “Preferences” and locate “com.origin.client.plist.” Move this file to the Trash bin.
Step 7: Remove Origin Receipts
Receipts are files that are created when an application is installed on your Mac. To remove Origin receipts, go to “Library” > “Receipts” and locate “com.origin.OAuth2.plist” and “com.origin.client.helper.plist.” Move these two files to the Trash bin.
Step 8: Use Terminal
Open Terminal and type in the following command:
sudo /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Commands/mono /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Origin.plugin/uninstall-orphans
Press enter. This command will completely remove any remaining files related to Origin.
Step 9: Restart Your Mac
After uninstalling Origin, it’s recommended that you restart your Mac to ensure that any changes made to the system have been applied.
Step 10: Check for Any Remaining Files
To make sure that no remaining files or folders related to Origin are left on your Mac, go to “Library” and search for “Origin” and its related files. If there are any remaining files, delete them manually.
Step 11: Empty Trash
After deleting all unwanted files and folders related to Origin, make sure to empty your Trash bin. You can do this by right-clicking on the Trash icon on your Dock and selecting “Empty Trash.”
Step 12: Done!
Congratulations! You have successfully uninstalled Origin from your Mac.
Now that we have gone through the 12 steps on how to uninstall Origin, let’s look at some of the explanations for each step.
In Step 5, we mentioned the importance of removing an application’s service files. This step is necessary because service files take up space on your Mac’s memory and can cause problems if left unchecked.
In Steps 7 and 8, we used Terminal to remove any remaining files related to Origin. Terminal is a powerful tool that allows you to manipulate and change your system’s settings. However, it’s important to be careful when using Terminal as it can cause harm to your Mac if used incorrectly.
Step 10 is essential to ensure that all unwanted files and folders related to Origin are deleted from your Mac. It’s always a good practice to manually check if any files or folders are left behind after uninstalling an application.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to follow when uninstalling Origin on your Mac:
1. Use a reliable uninstaller
Some applications, like CleanMyMac X, offer an uninstaller feature that can help remove all unwanted files related to an application.
2. Restart your Mac regularly
Restarting your Mac regularly can help clear any unnecessary files that have accumulated over time.
3. Check for updates
Be sure to check for updates to make sure that your Mac stays up-to-date with the latest software.
4. Reinstall problematic applications
If an application is causing problems on your Mac, try uninstalling and reinstalling it to see if the issue is resolved.
5. Use a cleaner app
Cleaner apps like CCleaner or Drive Genius can help keep your Mac’s memory free of unnecessary files and folders.
6. Be careful when using Terminal
Terminal is a powerful tool that can be useful, but it can also be dangerous if not used correctly. Always be cautious when using Terminal and double-check your commands before executing them.
7. Keep your Mac clutter-free
Try to keep your Mac’s desktop and folders organized and free of unnecessary files. This can help prevent problems later on.
8. Backup your files
It’s always a good idea to backup your files regularly to prevent data loss in case of a problem.
9. Use a password manager
Password managers like LastPass or 1Password can help you securely save your login credentials for various applications.
10. Protect your Mac with antivirus software
Antivirus software can help protect your Mac from harmful viruses and malware that can cause problems.
In conclusion, uninstalling Origin from your Mac can be done easily by following these 12 steps. Be sure to also follow the tips and tricks mentioned to keep your Mac running smoothly. Happy gaming!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Uninstalling Origin on Mac
1. More storage space – Uninstalling Origin on your Mac frees up much-needed storage space, especially if you don’t use the application frequently.
2. Improved performance – Removing an application that you don’t use can result in a faster Mac performance.
3. Fewer update notifications – If you’re not using Origin, you won’t have to deal with update notifications or download the latest updates.
4. Remedy for technical issues – If you’re experiencing technical issues with Origin, uninstalling and reinstalling the application may help to solve the problem.
5. No more cluttered app list – If you have multiple applications on your Mac, uninstalling those you don’t use can make your app list less cluttered and organized.
6. Improved security – Removing an application that you don’t use anymore can also help improve your Mac’s security and reduce the risk of malware or viruses entering your system through that application.
7. More control over your Mac – Removing unused programs allows you to take back control over your machine. You have a clean machine and a clear idea of what you really need.
8. Time saver – If you have no intention of using Origin in the future, then uninstalling it can save you time by avoiding updates.
9. Enhanced Mac speed – With less clutter in your system, your computer can run faster.
10. Better resource allocation – Removing a program like Origin can allocate CPU and GPU resources to perform better on other tasks.
1. Cannot access Origin – If you remove Origin, you won’t be able to access the games that you purchased through the platform.
2. No more game updates – You won’t receive game updates or new additions to games you downloaded from Origin.
3. Loss of saved games – If you uninstall Origin, any save games you have will be lost.
4. Frequent re-installation – If you frequently use Origin, you may find yourself having to reinstall the application frequently, which can be time-consuming.
5. No more online support – If you remove Origin, you won’t be able to access online support for products that you have installed with the application.
6. Missed offers – You may miss out on exclusive offers from Origin if you don’t have it installed.
7. Reduced game options – Without Origin, you will have fewer game options to choose from.
8. Limited game support – You may find that not all games are supported outside of the Origin platform.
9. Inability to buy from the store – Removing Origin also means that you won’t be able to buy games or products from the Origin store.
10. Limited functionality – Some games require Origin to run, so without it, these games won’t be starting up on your device.
1. What is Origin?
Origin is a digital distribution platform developed by Electronic Arts (EA) for purchasing and playing video games.
2. Why would I want to uninstall Origin on my Mac?
You may want to uninstall Origin on your Mac if you no longer use the platform, if it is taking up too much space on your device, or if it is causing technical issues.
3. Is uninstalling Origin on Mac different from Windows?
Yes, the process of uninstalling Origin on Mac is different from Windows.
4. Can I uninstall Origin on Mac without affecting my game files?
Yes, uninstalling Origin on Mac will not affect your game files.
5. How do I uninstall Origin on Mac?
You can uninstall Origin on Mac by dragging the Origin app from your Applications folder to the Trash, and then emptying the Trash.
6. Can I uninstall Origin on Mac using the Origin client?
Yes, you can uninstall Origin on Mac using the Origin client. Simply open the client, go to “Origin” in the menu bar, and select “Uninstall Origin”.
7. What should I do if I’m having trouble uninstalling Origin on Mac?
If you are having trouble uninstalling Origin on Mac, you can try using a third-party uninstaller program or contacting Origin/EA customer support for assistance.
8. Will uninstalling Origin on Mac affect my other EA games?
No, uninstalling Origin on Mac will not affect your other EA games.
9. How do I reinstall Origin on Mac?
You can reinstall Origin on Mac by downloading the Origin client from the EA website and then following the installation instructions.
10. Will reinstalling Origin on Mac affect my game files?
No, reinstalling Origin on Mac will not affect your game files.
11. How do I update Origin on Mac?
You can update Origin on Mac by opening the client and following any prompts to update. You can also check for updates manually by going to “Application Settings” and clicking “Check for Updates”.
12. Can I use Origin on Mac without downloading the client?
No, you need to download the Origin client to use Origin on Mac.
13. What should I do if I’m still having technical issues after uninstalling Origin on Mac?
If you are still having technical issues after uninstalling Origin on Mac, you can try troubleshooting your game or contacting Origin/EA customer support for assistance.
How to Uninstall Origin on Mac
Origin is a popular gaming platform developed by Electronic Arts (EA) that allows Mac users to play games like The Sims 4, Battlefield V, and more. However, uninstalling Origin on Mac can be tricky, especially if you have no prior experience. In this article, we will explore how to uninstall Origin on your Mac so you can free up space on your hard drive and make room for other games.
Conclusion and Closing
In summary, uninstalling Origin on your Mac can be done by following a few steps. Make sure to quit Origin before beginning the process, and then delete the app from your Applications folder, along with the Origin folder in your Library folder. While you may encounter some issues with uninstalling the app, the above guide should help you resolve them.
If you’re still having trouble, try reaching out to EA Support for more assistance. Don’t let the uninstallation process discourage you from trying other games on your Mac. With a little patience and perseverance, you’ll be able to make room for new games and continue enjoying your gaming experience.
We hope this article has provided you with a clear understanding of how to uninstall Origin on Mac. Thank you for reading and good luck with the process!
Until next time, happy gaming!